Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
Whilst not in school, many believe that this signifies the point where children turn from keen learners to hard to control rebels. This isn’t always the case though. Pupils can still learn a lot of academic skills whilst out of lesson through a wide variety of different activities.
With many schools and nurseries lacking external facilities and play areas, children can suffer the negative consequences ranging from lower activity levels to a decrease in overall health. Just by the simple introduction of more outdoor learning activities for children, this risk is reduced. See our range of play area designs to learn more about what we can do.
Educational Play Areas
Dedicating certain areas for kids to play and learn can present huge benefits for both the school and the students. Sometimes, children will hate to be sat still for long periods of time which results in a lack of true concentration during the class. They become fixated on the clock and wait till their break time which stops them from fully learning and engaging with the lesson.
However, there are ways to teach kids and keep them focused. One of those methods is the introduction of educational play areas. As discussed in some of our previous blog posts, outdoor play can really benefit young people and so by giving kids an area in which is purposely built for fun and education, they will start to gain more benefits through the use of it.
Nursery Outdoor Learning
A really good alternative that not many schools use anymore is outdoor classrooms. This allows children to sit outside in the sun and breathe fresh air in whilst being able to fully concentrate on the teacher as they don’t find themselves being bored.
Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
At Soft Surfaces, we can help you design a great outdoor learning area which truly encourages kids to learn in a great environment. We are a recognised member of the Association of Play Industries (API) as we have designed numerous high-quality facilities for all different reasons.
This means that if you’re struggling with finding someone who can help you with your idea then look no further than us. We’ve had over 20 years of experience and know how to ensure you are fully satisfied with our services. Check out other options for Early Years facilities in this post for more details.
Children’s Educational Games
When it comes to creating things to keep kids educated and entertained, there is a wide variety of choices you can make with regards to this.
Flooring can play an incredibly important role as you can get specific designs done which engage the children even more than normal. Whether that design is a number grid, hopscotch, shapes; having more things to look at allows children to feel more entertained and comfortable in the area. By having this type of environment, they become more inspired and alert.
There are different types of safety flooring you can get as well. Each one is catered towards certain ideas you may have for your play area. These are:
- Wetpour EPDM Rubber – Specialist safety surface, perfect for large play areas and specifically underneath equipment.
- Bonded Rubber Mulch – Provides safety qualities for use next to equipment like trim trails and climbing frames, can be laid onto most existing areas.
- Activity Flooring – Suitable for both recreational games and sports such as football, hockey and basketball. Find out more here.
- Thermoplastic Markings – Can be applied on tarmac play surfaces to brighten up the facility.
Alongside the flooring, other things such as installing an outdoor chalkboard or whiteboard can prompt kids to become more creative and improve on certain linguistic skills. An easel table allows the same thing but in a more social setting as children can sit together and interact over their artistic creations and feelings.
Playhouses usually work well on these types of playgrounds. Role-playing real-life situations like post offices or doctors can encourage kids to learn about number work and communication skills whilst in a fun environment. The best bit about playhouses is that teachers can come up with their own creative situations and let the kids carry it out from there.
How Active Learning Can Help Children
Children who are active find it a lot easier to learn compared to those who just sit still and are forced to listen and be quiet. Young kids have short attention spans and would rather be outside playing than learning things that they have no interest in.
Through doing these activities, children can start to develop interests in certain subjects and therefore start performing a lot better in class when they are presented with that subject. This is due to them linking that subject to previous experiences, which would have been positive through active learning.
Not only this but whilst outside, children have more things to do and feel a sense of wonder and freedom. Through this, kids start to feel more excited and happier (in addition to the increase in vitamin D that they will receive) which means that they will feel a lot more positive towards the day ahead of them and will feel motivated to learn.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 6 Benefits of Sensory Play for Kids
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Outdoor Play for Children
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Coloured Play Safety Surfacing
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Developing Multi Ability Play Areas
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Easi Fall Specification Design Alternatives
- Easifall UK Materials Bought by Soft Surfaces Ltd
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Encouraging a Positive Outdoor Play Environment
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- Funding Grants and Finance for UK Play Areas
- Health and Activity Levels in Children
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Design a Outdoor School Playground Surfaces Area
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Play Area Surface Under Playground Equipment
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Improving Playground Behaviour in Schools
- Improving School Readiness With Outdoor Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Liquid Deicer for Sports and Play Surfacing
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Activities for Children
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery Playground Works
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surface Graphic Markings
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Furniture for Schools
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Ideas for Invisible Disabilities
- Playground Installation Options
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Surfaces Letter
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Primary School Playground Equipment
- Primary School Sport England Funding
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS15 Activity Surfacing and Floor Markings
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Seamless Rubber Play Area Surfaces
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing for Kids Play Area
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Soft Services Play Area Floor Products
- Soft Services Playground Flooring Materials
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Soft Spheres Adding Third Dimension 3d to Play Area
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- What Are Play Area Funding Grants in the United Kingdom?
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
Overall, outdoor learning activities for children offer many benefits to everyone and by utilising them fully; schools can begin to see an increase in overall positivity towards classes and therefore academic results. It’s a shame that not many schools use this idea but that can change. As soon as people realise how important it is, everyone will start inquiring about them.