Long Jump Runway Construction in Somerset
We recently completed a long jump runway construction project in Somerset. The work took place in a week at a school on an existing grass sports field. The first part of the installation process involved excavating the existing grass surface to the dimensions specified by the school, and then installing a stone sub-base.
The porous stone sub-base is made up of a layer of angular stones which lock together to create an even foundation for the long jump run up track. Next, the ground was excavated and edgings were put in for the installation of the sand landing pit at the end of the long jump runway.
Long Jump Runway Construction Surfacing
The surface type for this long jump runway construction project was Multisport needlepunch synthetic turf. This is a sand-filled fibre bonded artificial grass system which is woven together. The weaving process helps to create a stable and durable surface for the athletics run up.
The school chose to have their needlepunch long jump surfacing installed in bright blue, but there are a number of other colour options such as red, green, yellow and even rainbow stripe patterns. Once the stone sub base was complete, the Multisport synthetic turf surfacing was applied to these foundations by our specialist sport surfacing installers.
The needlepunch surfacing is a very hard wearing and long-lasting material. Because of this, the school will be able to enjoy the long jump runway for a long time. There is no need to worry about replacing the facility after a few years. This makes the new athletics facility a great investment for the school and helps to cut costs over time. Many schools choose to have compact athletics facilities which incorporate many different sports.
The final stage of the long jump runway construction project was installing the sand landing pit at the end of the run-up surface. The sand pit is a very important part of the overall long jump facility installation. It provides a soft landing area for athletes and allows jump distances to be recorded accurately for competitive athletics events.
Brand New Athletics Facility
Once the long jump runway construction was complete, the school were very pleased with their brand new athletics facility. The kids can now use this to practise on and develop their skills.
The needlepunch turf provides a softer alternative to the traditional polymeric rubber athletics track surfacing. This means younger kids stay safe when using the long jump facility and the risk of injury is lower. The bright blue colour of the runway also helps to make the sport even more appealing and fun for the children.
In the video below you can see the full construction process from start to finish:
We regularly complete many projects like this in various locations around the UK. Our team of experts have plenty of experience when it comes to installing sports facilities. We’ll be able to answer any questions you have regarding designs or costs.
- Astro Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Athletics Landing Sand Pit Covers
- Athletics Surfacing Specification Options
- Athletics Track Maintenance
- Athletics Track Surfacing
- Benefits of Athletics for Schools
- Benefits of Trim Trails for Physical Development
- Costs to Build a Compact Athletics Facility
- Costs to Construct Triple Jump Athletics Facility
- Javelin Runway Distance, Length, Dimensions
- Long Jump Facility Installations in Essex
- Long Jump Pit Construction in Stockport, Manchester
- Long Jump Pit Installation in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Long Jump Run Up Construction Specialists
- Long Jump Runway
- Long Jump Runway and High Jump Fan Installation in Derby
- Long Jump Runway Construction in Somerset
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Chorley Lancashire
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Colchester Essex
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Long Jump Surface Construction Athletics Track Costs
- Long Jump Track With Sand Pit Construction in Slough, Berkshire
- Long/Triple Jump Runway Design
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans, Hertfordshire
- Multisport Installation in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Buckinghamshire
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Norwich
- MultiSport Long Jump Installation at a School in Essex
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Coventry
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston
- Multisport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston, Lancashire
- Multisport Long Jump With Practice Lane in Leicester
- Multisport Long Jump with practice Lane Install in Leicester
- Multisport Runway Installation in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
- Multisport Synthetic High Jump Installation in Berkshire
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump Installation in Oxford
- MultiSport Synthetic Surface Install in Oxford
- Pole Vault Runway Construction
- Polymeric Long Jump Essex
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Construction in Glasgow
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Construction in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Installation in Liverpool, Merseyside
- Polymeric Long Jump Runway in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Polymeric Surface Long Jump Installation in Cardiff, Wales
- Polymeric Surface Long Jump Runway in Kettering, Northamptonshire
- Rake for Maintaining Long Jump Sandpit
- Rubber Mulch Daily Mile Track at a School in Manchester
- Rubber Mulch Daily Mile Track Installation in Leeds
- School Athletics Track Designs
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Synthetic Long Jump Athletics Track Construction in Peterborough
Find Out More
If you would like any further information about the long jump runway funding opportunities we provide to install one of these facilities. If you’d like to send us an enquiry about another sports surface, please fill in our contact form. Try to include as much detail as possible so we can give an accurate price.
We would be happy to help you with any questions you have, please visit our website at https://www.softsurfaces.co.uk/ where you can find details of specifications, installation and maintenance for all of our sport surfacing products and services.
Did you find this information useful? Have you ever had a long jump runway construction project carried out at your school?
Leave us a comment below and don’t forget to share this post!