Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
Kindness is one of the most important things we can teach children. There are several activities you can do on the playground which encourage kids to be kind to each other.
During their nursery years, most children can only see things from their own perspective. This means they can’t always understand someone else’s feelings. By encouraging empathy, children can develop important life skills outside of the curriculum.
Studies show that people who are kind to others are actually healthier and happier in life. But what activities can schools and nurseries do to help kids become more compassionate?
Games Which Promote Kindness
There are many games and activities which promote kindness and cooperation between children. Check out some ideas below:
Role-playing games offer kids the chance to make up their own scenarios and play different characters. Things like shopkeepers and customers, or doctors and nurses are popular games. These will help children learn how to empathise with others and be kind.
Pieces of equipment like outdoor stages and mini shop counters are great for these activities. Kids can use their imaginations and take what they have learnt into real-world situations. There are plenty of different designs and equipment you could use to enhance your play area.
Team Building Exercises
Working in a team is a great way for pupils to cooperate with each other and listen to different viewpoints. When working towards a common goal, children need to communicate with each other and decide the best course of action.
Some examples of team building games include:
- Team quiz hosted by the teacher
- Building an outdoor den
- Acting out scenes on stage
- Making up and telling stories
- Sporting activities like football, netball and hockey
These games encourage teamwork and communication which are vital social skills to learn.
Understanding Each Other’s Emotions
Up to the age of 4, most children can’t understand other people’s emotions very well. It may sound bad, but young kids are programmed to only focus on their own needs and point of view.
When they begin primary school, these skills improve as they relationships with others. Schools can offer plenty of activities to teach kindness on the playground during lessons and break times.
Roughly 20% of children report experiencing bullying at school, and this can have a range of negative effects. This is why encouraging kids to be kind and empathetic to each other from a young age is so important.
Voicing Negative Feelings
Sometimes playing games on the playground can lead to fall-outs or disputes between children. While these situations are not nice to see, they can offer important learning opportunities.
Take the pupils aside and ask them what they’re feeling – Angry? Sad? Confused? Worried? Asking them to describe how they feel helps them understand each other’s point of view.
They can then talk it out and resolve the situation. Next time they’ll be able to move on and cooperate when playing the same game. This is a crucial part of social development which kids can take into adult life.
A playground is a great place for kids to learn important life lessons outside of the classroom. Practical activities promote teamwork and help young kids to learn empathy. They also promote feelings of respect for each other.
- 3G Artificial Grass Construction in Liverpool
- 3G Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- Activity Flooring Construction
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Artificial Grass with Rubber Shock Pad Installation at St Ann's Hospital, London
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Black Wetpour Overlay at a Playground in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
- Black Wetpour Play Area with 5% Green Fleck in Swansea, Wales
- Cleaning and Painting of a Tennis Surface in Manchester
- Coloured Wetpour Playground Design in Birmingham
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle
- Green Playground Safety Flooring in Somerset, UK
- Green Rubber Tarmac Playground Surfacing in Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales
- Green Wetpour Flooring with Graphics Install in Exeter
- Green Wetpour Play Area Surfacing in Southampton
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface Installation in Stockport, Greater Manchester
- MUGA Sports Court Cleaning and Painting at a school in Oxfordshire
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Buckinghamshire
- MultiSport Long Jump Installation at a School in Essex
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Coventry
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston
- Multisport Long Jump with practice Lane Install in Leicester
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump Installation in Oxford
- MultiSport Synthetic Surface Install in Oxford
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Sports Surface Clean & Paint in Glasgow
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Residential Tennis Court Clean & Paint in Coventry
- Rubber Mulch Daily Mile Track at a School in Manchester
- Rubber Mulch Hospital Pathway Surfacing in Suffolk
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesborough, Yorkshire
- Rubber Playground Flooring With Artificial Grass in Worthing, West Sussex
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Sports Court Anti Slip Painting in Leicester
- Sports Court Cleaning and Painting in Preston
- Sports court cleaning and painting in Sheffield, Yorkshire
- Sports Surface Colour Coating in High Peak
- Sports Surfacing Clean and Paint in Southport
- Synthetic Turf Tennis Court Installation in London
- Tennis Court Clean & Paint Maintenance in York
- Tennis Court Cleaning and Repainting in Sheffield
- Tennis Court Surfacing Maintenance in Yorkshire
- Tennis Court Surfacing Rejuvenation in Newcastle
- Wetpour & Artificial Grass Installation at Hillview Hospital, Wales
- Wetpour and Rubber Mulch Playground Surfacing in Oxford
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Mini Golf Course Installation in Market Deeping, Lincolnshire
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Wetpour Sports Court Flooring in Dartmouth, Devon
- Wetpour Swimming Pool Surround Install in London
There are lots of ways to teach kindness on the playground through many different activities. Schools and nurseries can encourage a positive attitude and help reduce instances of bullying by making this a top priority.