One of our recent projects was the installation of a 5-a-side football pitch at a football and tennis sports centre in Liverpool. The existing area was a tennis court facility inside an outdoor sports structure, however the sand filled synthetic grass tennis court surface had become worn out and the carpet was starting to rip.
This meant that the surface was potentially dangerous and could not be used to its full potential so the sports centre decided to upgrade the court and transform it into a brand new 5-a-side football pitch facility.
5-a-side Football Pitch Construction
Many clubs choose to have a 5-a-side football pitch or full sized sports pitch installed to replace natural grass surfaces which can be difficult to manage and become waterlogged in wet weather. The advantages of 3G synthetic turf are that they require much less maintenance than real grass and they can be played on throughout the year during all weather conditions (excluding snow).
Professional football clubs often use 3G pitches for training and lower league teams even resurface their main pitch in 3G grass to save money on maintenance and generate extra income by renting the facility out to others. Some leisure centres and clubs install 3G surfacing to upgrade an existing 2G facility which has become worn out, just like this project.
The first stage of work was to remove the existing sand filled tennis court carpet which had become damaged and ripped over time through heavy use. Once the worn out artificial grass surfacing had been ripped up, the macadam sub base underneath was still suitable for use with the new layer of surfacing. An engineered macadam sub base is preferred for sports pitch installations because it creates a smooth and even foundations which are extremely durable and long lasting.
The next step was to install the new 3G 5-a-side football pitch flooring onto the macadam sub base. This was done by rolling out the 3G grass carpet in separate pieces and then joining the pieces together with a specialised glue at the seams and the edges to secure it in place.
Inlaid football line markings were then applied in white to create a professional finish and accurate scoring for matches. The final part of the 5-a-side football pitch construction was to put sand and rubber infill within the grass fibres, this helps to keep the fake grass pile upright and improves the playing qualities for a good sporting experience.
Completed 3G Football Surface
The final result of this 5-a-side football pitch construction was a brand new top quality synthetic sports surface in the best technology of artificial turf. The 3G football pitch can be used all year round and even gives the sports centre the opportunity to rent it out to gain some extra revenue.
We are specialists in installing synthetic sports surfaces such as 3G pitches and multi use games areas for schools, clubs and public sports facilities in the UK. You can find out more about the products and services we specialise in by looking at our website at https://www.softsurfaces.co.uk/. If you’re in need of a quote for a project similar to this one or for another sports surface installation, get in touch with us.
We can give you professional advice in regards to costs and specifications for the sports pitch surfacing and any extra features you might need. Send us over the area size, post code and a rough idea of the works you’re looking to carry out and we’ll give you a price estimate for the project.
Don’t forget to leave a comment in the box below if you’ve got a question and feel free to share this article with your friends if you enjoyed it!
You Might Also Like
Here are some artificial grass articles you might like:
- AGP, STP, ATP Long Pile Artificial Grass Pitches
- All Weather Pitch Sports Surfaces
- All weather pitches – Standing Water, Flooding, Poor Draining?
- Artificial Cricket Wicket Surfacing
- Artificial Football Surfaces Set To Return to English Football
- Artificial Grass Daily Mile Track
- Artificial Grass Enquiry Process
- Artificial Grass Football 3G Pitch Costs
- Artificial Grass Installation in Swarkestone, Derby
- Artificial Grass Nationwide
- Artificial Grass Nursery Play Area Flooring
- Artificial Grass Vs Natural Garden Lawns
- Artificial Grass with Rubber Shockpad Installation in London
- Artificial Pitch Framework Contractors
- Astro Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Billions of Rubber Balls in Fake Grass – 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G Pitches?
- Black Rubber Crumb Top Up For Artificial Pitch
- Black Wetpour and Artificial Turf Installation in Harlow
- Coating Of Synthetic MUGA Surfacing With Acrylic Coatings
- Coating Of Synthetic MUGAs Surfacing With Water Based Coatings
- Costs constructing All Weather Pitch
- FA Agree to 3G Technology Artificial Surfacing
- Flooding Astro Turf All Weather Pitch Needs Rejuvenation, Restoration Maintenance
- Golf Pathways Options, Products, Construction
- How Do I Apply For Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How is Artificial Grass Installed?
- Innovation of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th generation synthetic artificial pitch?
- IRB Type 22 Rugby Union Longer Piled Artificial Turf Pitches
- Lano Sports Drive 23 Sand Filled Synthetic Turf
- Lano Sports Interplay 40mm 3G Synthetic Turf
- Muddy Wet Fitness Trim Trail Surfacing Options?
- Outdoor Artificial Grass Installation in Manchester
- Play Area Safety Surfacing De Icer
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Proactive Maintenance To Artificial Sports Courts
- Profoot MXSi Lano Sports Artificial Specification
- Q26 IN SITU SYNTHETIC SURFACING
- Q26 SYNTHETIC GRASS SURFACING
- Reactive Maintenance To Astroturf All Weather Pitches
- Reasons Why All Weather Pitch Surfacing Gets Waterlogged and Flooded
- Repairing Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- RFU, RFL, IRB Sports Artificial Pitch Long Pile Synthetic Grass
- Rhino Turf
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail made from timber
- Sand Filled Synthetic Turf Pitch Costs
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – De Icer Frost Maintenance
- Shock Absorption Vertical Deformation Field Testing
- Specialists in Building Artificial Football Fields
- STP, ATP, MUGA 4G All Weather Pitches
- Synthetic 3G Soccer Sports Surface
- Synthetic Grass Sports Surface Rejuvenation
- Synthetic Grass Surfacing Options
- Synthetic sports pitches corrective maintenance services
- Synthetic Turf Football Field
- Synthetic Turf Football Field Installers
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Pitch Ball Roll Tests
- Synthetic Turf Sports Fields
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic turf Sports Surface Suppliers
- Synthetic turf Synthetic Soccer Sports Pitch
- Third Generation 3G Artificial Grass Sports Surfacing
- Touch Rugby Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- UNFILLED SYNTHETIC SPORTS TURF SURFACING
- Vertical Ball Rebound Bounce Sports Surfacing Tests
- Waterlogged Artificial Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Waterlogged Synthetic All Weather Pitch Solutions
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation at Hillview Hospital
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation in Coventry, West Midlands
- What is Artificial Grass?
- Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?
- Why Choose Artificial Grass for Your Garden?
- Why is my synthetic all weather pitch holding water and flooding?
- 3G Sports Pitch Construction
- 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G Artificial Synthetic Grass Pitches Explanation
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Sports Pitches – Difference in Specification
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 40mm Depth Longer Piled Synthetic Pitch Surfacing
- 4G Grass Football Pitch Sports Surfacing Synthetic Turf Carpet
- 4th Generation Synthetic Sport Surfacing
- 5 Reasons Why Your Artificial Grass May Have Melted
- 5-a-side Football Pitch 3G Artificial Grass Surfacing in Liverpool
- 5-a-side Football Pitch Construction with 3G Artificial Turf
- 5aside Football Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- 7 a side Soccer Long Pile Synthetic Grass Pitches