We have installed a number of 5-a-side sports pitches across the UK to various schools and sports club facilities. One of our latest projects was a 5-a-side football pitch construction with 3G artificial turf for a primary school in London.
The school chose to have a synthetic grass pitch installed as the 3G specification is much easier to look after than natural grass. You can also use it throughout the whole year, even in wet weather.
5-a-side Football Pitch Construction
This school had an existing natural grass area which wasn’t suitable for use as a sports pitch so they decided to resurface it in 3G artificial turf. The first part of the 5-a-side football pitch construction was to excavate the natural grass surface and prepare the ground for the new pitch to be installed. We ripped up the old grass, leaving a smooth layer of soil beneath which could then be used for the rest of the 5-a-side football pitch construction.
When the ground had been excavated to the right depth, we could then install a soakaway system. This aids in drainage and helps to prevent flooding to the sports facility. Next was the application of a sports sub base. For this type of project, we typically use a dynamic stone sub-base. This is porous and gives the rest of the pitch a solid and even foundation.
We compact the stones down to make sure that they lock together and the sub-base is completely smooth. After the dynamic sub-base has been compacted, a layer of macadam will be applied. This gives the pitch a durable and long lasting base layer. It also creates a smooth foundation to lay the 3G grass carpet onto.
3G Turf Installation
After installing the groundworks and sub base, the next stage of this 5-a-side football pitch construction project was the 3G turf installation. This synthetic grass surface type is popular for football pitches. It has a specific design to replicate the performance of natural grass. 3G pitches have a sand and rubber infill layer installed between the synthetic fibres to improve comfort and enhance the playability.
The 3G turf carpet was installed in separate rolls which were then glued together at the edges and the seams. We do this to secure the carpet into place. Inlaid line markings were then applied in white, along with the sand and rubber infill. We spread this evenly throughout the synthetic fibres to ensure an even playing surface. This is one of the main benefits of the surface as it doesn’t become muddy or uneven during wet weather. Visit this post to find out more about the benefits of these surfaces.
After the 5-a-side football pitch construction was complete, the primary school had a top quality sports surface. They can now use this for training and playing football matches. The 3G artificial turf will be a long-lasting all-weather surface. It should also be able to withstand a lot of heavy use all year round. You should carry out 3G pitch maintenance regularly to keep it in top condition.
If you’d like any further information on 3G synthetic football pitches or any of the other sports facilities we specialise in, please have a look at our website on https://www.softsurfaces.co.uk. To discuss costs and designs for a sports pitch installation, fill in our contact form. We’ll send you over some product sheets and a price quotation for the works.
Please share this post if you found it interesting. If you have any questions please ask us in the comments below!
You Might Also Like
Here are some artificial grass articles you might like:
- AGP, STP, ATP Long Pile Artificial Grass Pitches
- All Weather Pitch Sports Surfaces
- All weather pitches – Standing Water, Flooding, Poor Draining?
- Artificial Cricket Wicket Surfacing
- Artificial Football Surfaces Set To Return to English Football
- Artificial Grass Daily Mile Track
- Artificial Grass Enquiry Process
- Artificial Grass Football 3G Pitch Costs
- Artificial Grass Installation in Swarkestone, Derby
- Artificial Grass Nationwide
- Artificial Grass Nursery Play Area Flooring
- Artificial Grass Vs Natural Garden Lawns
- Artificial Grass with Rubber Shockpad Installation in London
- Artificial Pitch Framework Contractors
- Astro Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Billions of Rubber Balls in Fake Grass – 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G Pitches?
- Black Rubber Crumb Top Up For Artificial Pitch
- Black Wetpour and Artificial Turf Installation in Harlow
- Coating Of Synthetic MUGA Surfacing With Acrylic Coatings
- Coating Of Synthetic MUGAs Surfacing With Water Based Coatings
- Costs constructing All Weather Pitch
- FA Agree to 3G Technology Artificial Surfacing
- Flooding Astro Turf All Weather Pitch Needs Rejuvenation, Restoration Maintenance
- Golf Pathways Options, Products, Construction
- How Do I Apply For Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How is Artificial Grass Installed?
- Innovation of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th generation synthetic artificial pitch?
- IRB Type 22 Rugby Union Longer Piled Artificial Turf Pitches
- Lano Sports Drive 23 Sand Filled Synthetic Turf
- Lano Sports Interplay 40mm 3G Synthetic Turf
- Muddy Wet Fitness Trim Trail Surfacing Options?
- Outdoor Artificial Grass Installation in Manchester
- Play Area Safety Surfacing De Icer
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Proactive Maintenance To Artificial Sports Courts
- Profoot MXSi Lano Sports Artificial Specification
- Q26 IN SITU SYNTHETIC SURFACING
- Q26 SYNTHETIC GRASS SURFACING
- Reactive Maintenance To Astroturf All Weather Pitches
- Reasons Why All Weather Pitch Surfacing Gets Waterlogged and Flooded
- Repairing Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- RFU, RFL, IRB Sports Artificial Pitch Long Pile Synthetic Grass
- Rhino Turf
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail made from timber
- Sand Filled Synthetic Turf Pitch Costs
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – De Icer Frost Maintenance
- Shock Absorption Vertical Deformation Field Testing
- Specialists in Building Artificial Football Fields
- STP, ATP, MUGA 4G All Weather Pitches
- Synthetic 3G Soccer Sports Surface
- Synthetic Grass Sports Surface Rejuvenation
- Synthetic Grass Surfacing Options
- Synthetic sports pitches corrective maintenance services
- Synthetic Turf Football Field
- Synthetic Turf Football Field Installers
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Pitch Ball Roll Tests
- Synthetic Turf Sports Fields
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic turf Sports Surface Suppliers
- Synthetic turf Synthetic Soccer Sports Pitch
- Third Generation 3G Artificial Grass Sports Surfacing
- Touch Rugby Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- UNFILLED SYNTHETIC SPORTS TURF SURFACING
- Vertical Ball Rebound Bounce Sports Surfacing Tests
- Waterlogged Artificial Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Waterlogged Synthetic All Weather Pitch Solutions
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation at Hillview Hospital
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation in Coventry, West Midlands
- What is Artificial Grass?
- Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?
- Why Choose Artificial Grass for Your Garden?
- Why is my synthetic all weather pitch holding water and flooding?
- 3G Sports Pitch Construction
- 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G Artificial Synthetic Grass Pitches Explanation
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Sports Pitches – Difference in Specification
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 40mm Depth Longer Piled Synthetic Pitch Surfacing
- 4G Grass Football Pitch Sports Surfacing Synthetic Turf Carpet
- 4th Generation Synthetic Sport Surfacing
- 5 Reasons Why Your Artificial Grass May Have Melted
- 5-a-side Football Pitch 3G Artificial Grass Surfacing in Liverpool
- 5-a-side Football Pitch Construction with 3G Artificial Turf
- 5aside Football Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- 7 a side Soccer Long Pile Synthetic Grass Pitches