How to Maintain a 3g Pitch in Winter
With the popularity of 3G pitches increasing, a lot of people are wanting more information on how to maintain them with the utmost efficiency. Throughout this post, we’ll give you some tips and tricks on how to do this and how to maintain a 3G pitch in winter and avoid any unnecessary problems.
Maintaining 3G Synthetic Pitches
Even though the pitch is synthetic, 3G sports surfacing requires some maintenance to keep it working well without any issues. Some good points to keep in mind are:
- Daily checks – even if the next match is scheduled a week away, make sure regular checks of the area are performed. Finding any damaged areas or an uneven spread of rubber crumb infill can help you keep the surface as healthy as possible during this time and avoid any more unnecessary damage being caused.
- Explain to users – a very peculiar yet important step you should take is going over ways to care for the 3G pitch with those using it. Ranging from correct footwear to what to do if the field seems damaged, explaining these points can really help it thrive.
- Fix damages quickly – if any damage is spotted, do not procrastinate. You need to act quick simply to avoid any more excessive damage from being caused. Sorting the damage quickly will save you money and time and avoid any sudden shocks.
It may seem tedious or annoying but keeping the field in great condition with maintenance can save you a lot of money and time in the future. In addition, organic pitches would require a lot more work compared to maintaining 3G synthetic pitches, you would be dedicating less time on maintenance and more time on the important things. This is one of the main benefits of 3G pitches and why many people see them as a good investment.
Winter Maintenance for a 3G Football Pitch
During the winter, a lot of football matches can get cancelled on organic turf. However, with 3G synthetic pitches, the odds of this are lower, but not completely inexistent. Usually, the cold temperature will freeze the fibres and cause them to become brittle, making it unstable and unsafe for anyone to use. But there are some countermeasures that you can take to avoid any of these problems. Check out our sports facility maintenance page for advice on maintaining various types of sport surfacing.
Winter maintenance for a 3G football pitch can be a pain with the harsh weather conditions and the fluctuations in the environment. A good routine to perform is:
- Check the weather – Sports matches are planned in advance, meaning you can get the date beforehand. With the date, do some checks on how the weather will be before the day and on the day as this will allow you to avoid the most common issue, being unprepared.
- Lay PDV salt – If you find out that the weather is going to be cold and freezing, you should prepare yourself with some PDV (Pure Dried Vacuum) salt. Sprinkle the salt across the synthetic pitch the night before. The salt acts as an anti-freeze prevention method, meaning that in the morning, the field shouldn’t be badly frozen where damage can be done.
- Scoop snow off – Snow can be incredibly bad for the pitch if left on it for too long. It’s usually recommended to remove the snow within a period of a day to avoid constant damage being done on the surface.
Explain to users – a very peculiar yet important step you should take is going over ways to care for the 3G pitch with those using it. Ranging from correct footwear to what to do if the field seems damaged, explaining these points can really help it thrive.
Winter can be bad for sports and sometimes it’s just recommended to close the pitch until the weather conditions improve. Putting the surfacing through strain in cold weather conditions can really damage the pitch and in general, could lead to the 3G synthetic turf being replaced.
Cleaning Your Artificial Sports Surface
Cleaning may sound simple but it’s important to note that your pitch can become affected in different ways. Dirt, contaminants or unbalanced levels of rubber infill can all cause the pitch to be labelled as dirty and all require different methods of cleaning.
Grooming and drag brushing is a common method to evenly distribute the rubber infill to maintain even playing characteristics and remove some dirt. As it’s just a brushing, all you’ll need is a brush and some time. Go around the pitch and make sure that you give areas in which you think may have unbalanced levels of rubber infill a good brush. If you’re finding that there is hardly any rubber infill across the whole 3G pitch, then an infill tops up is likely needed (adding extra rubber infill). This post shows a similar process for cleaning infill in a hockey pitch.
Moss and algae may grow around the synthetic surface which can cause the looks to fade away. In addition, it can damage the turf over time. To avoid this happening, chemical treatment cleaning can be done. Simply acquire a moss/algae remover and start to distribute it around. Be careful though, applying too much in one area could end up damaging the fibres quickly.
Sometimes, the pitch may be too seriously damaged to clean properly and therefore you may have to consider a resurface. It can be incredibly expensive to do so and that’s why it is often recommended to maintain your 3G turf to the best of your abilities to avoid this problem occurring.
3G Pitch Maintenance Services
Maintaining the synthetic pitch can be a huge pain at first and you might find it a complicated process. Soft Surfaces can help with this issue. Over 20 years of experience, we can help you with every step of the process, making sure that you understand what’s happening along the way.
No matter what the season is, our team are more than happier to help you learn the best ways to keep your 3G pitch maintained and working well. If you have any questions or queries about how to maintain a 3G pitch in winter, send us an enquiry and one of our members of staff will get in contact with you shortly.
- 3 Reasons to Build Dual Use MUGA Ball Court
- 3g 5-a-Side Football Pitch Installation in Hampshire
- 3G Artificial Grass Construction in Liverpool
- 3g Artificial Pitch Surfacing in Whitehall, London
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Construction in Woking, Surrey
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing Contractors
- 3G Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Cheltenham Gloucestershire
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Hackney, London
- 3g Grass Installation in Bournemouth, Dorset
- 3g Grass Pitch Installation in Bradford, Yorkshire
- 3g Pitch Construction in Birmingham, West Midlands
- 3G Sports Pitch Construction
- 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Artificial Synthetic Grass Pitches Explanation
- 5 Reasons Why Your Artificial Grass May Have Melted
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch 3g Artificial Grass Surfacing in Liverpool
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch Construction With 3g Artificial Turf
- 60mm Thick Long Pile Synthetic Turf All Weather Sports Pitches
- Acrylic Sports Court Spraying Anti Slip Paint Surface
- Adidas Polymeric Installation in Keir Hardie, London
- All Purpose Sports Pitch Builders
- All Weather Pitch Sports Surfaces
- Anti Slip Sports Court Painting in Preston, Lancashire
- Artificial Cricket Wicket Surfacing
- Benefits of 3g Sports Pitches
- Benefits of Artificial Clay Tennis Court Surfacing
- Billions of Rubber Balls in Fake Grass – 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Pitches?
- Cleaning and Painting of a Tennis Surface in Manchester
- Costs to Build a Synthetic Clay Tennis Court
- Deep Cleaning Astroturf Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- Fibre Bonded Needlepunch Sport Surfacing
- Flooded Hockey Pitch Sand Infill Cleaning
- Floodlight All Weather Sports Pitch
- Golf Pathways
- How to Maintain a 3g Pitch in Winter
- Lano Sports Drive 23 Sand Filled Synthetic Turf
- Leeds Tennis Court Cleaning and Repainting Surfacing
- MUGA Sports Court Cleaning and Painting at a school in Oxfordshire
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Buckinghamshire
- MultiSport Long Jump Installation at a School in Essex
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Coventry
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston
- Multisport Long Jump with practice Lane Install in Leicester
- Multisport Runway Installation in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump Installation in Oxford
- MultiSport Synthetic Surface Install in Oxford
- Netball Court Construction in Stockport
- Outdoor Basketball Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Football Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Sports Surface Clean & Paint in Glasgow
- Outdoor Sports Surfacing Slip Tester Insitu Testing
- Padel Tennis Court Construction Contractors
- Padel Tennis Court Surfacing Installers
- Polymeric Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- Polymeric Surface Basketball Court Installation in Cheadle, Cheshire
- Practice Cage Cricket Wicket Surfaces
- Professional Tennis Court Painting
- Reasons Why All Weather Pitch Surfacing Gets Waterlogged and Flooded
- Refurbishment of Run Down Netball Courts
- Repairing Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Residential Tennis Court Clean & Paint in Coventry
- Rubber Golf Pathway Installation in Prestbury
- Rubber Mulch Daily Mile Track at a School in Manchester
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Sand Filled Synthetic Turf Pitch Costs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- Should You Clean or Resurface Your Tennis Court?
- Size of 5 a Side Court MUGA
- Size of Netball Court Sports MUGAs
- Spending Your Sport Premium Funding
- Sports Court Anti Slip Painting in Leicester
- Sports Court Cleaning and Painting in Preston
- Sports Court Cleaning and Painting in Sheffield
- Sports court cleaning and painting in Sheffield, Yorkshire
- Sports Court Designs
- Sports Court Maintenance in Fleetwood, Lancashire
- Sports Facility Maintenance
- Sports Fencing
- Sports Pitch Specification
- Sports Pitch Surfacing
- Sports Surface Colour Coating in High Peak
- Sports Surface Construction
- Sports Surfacing Clean and Paint in Southport
- Sports Surfacing Rejuvenation Maintenance Golborne
- Sports-Cote Court Binder and Aggregate Rich Acrylic Non Slip Paint
- Synthetic AGP Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- Synthetic Turf Football Field
- Synthetic Turf Football Field Installers
- Synthetic Turf Installation in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
- Synthetic Turf Pitch Ball Roll Tests
- Synthetic Turf Tennis Court Installation in London
- Tennis Court Clean & Paint Maintenance in York
- Tennis Court Cleaning and Repainting in Sheffield
- Tennis Court Construction
- Tennis Court Maintenance – Deep Clean and Recolouring
- Tennis Court Maintenance in Woking, Surrey
- Tennis Court Surfacing Maintenance in Yorkshire
- Tennis Court Surfacing Rejuvenation in Newcastle
- Tennis Court Synthetic Turf Cleaning Maintenance
- Tennis Courts Refurbishment Maintenance Lancashire
- Third Generation 3g Artificial Grass Sports Surfacing
- Unfilled Synthetic Sports Turf Surfacing
- Waterlogged Synthetic All Weather Pitch Solutions
- Wetpour Sports Court Flooring in Dartmouth, Devon
- Wetpour Swimming Pool Surround Install in London
- Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?