Multi Use Long Jump Facility Installation in Essex
We recently carried out another long jump facility installation project at a high school in Upminster, Essex. The school wanted to transform an existing grass area with the addition of a new state of the art long jump runway and sand pit.
Specification and Construction
The specification for the long jump facility included a full runway in needlepunch synthetic surfacing with a sand landing pit, as well as a small practise area at the side of the sand pit. Installing the long jump facility began with excavation of the existing grass field to the required depth and area size which was specified by the school, and then installing edges for the runway and sand pit. Rubber safety edgings were used to create an impact absorbing surface around the perimeter of the facility in order to prevent injury and keep the area safe for the students. A stone sub base made up of lots of angular porous stones was then installed to create a stable and even foundation for the athletics surfacing to be installed onto. Once the groundworks were prepared and the sub base was laid out, the next stage was to apply the surfacing itself.
The school opted for the needlepunch synthetic turf specification for their long jump runway, this surface type is made up of woven yarn fibres and has a layer of silica sand infill installed within the synthetic grass. Needlepunch is an extremely durable and long lasting surface specification which provides a softer alternative to polymeric rubber which is typically used for athletics tracks. This particular school decided to have the main long jump runway installed in red, and the small practise area installed in a red and blue stripe design. The synthetic turf was rolled out like a carpet onto the stone sub base and secured at the edges and multi use line markings were applied in white.
Needlepunch synthetic sports surfaces are very popular with schools as they are safe for young kids to use and they can be utilised for many different activities and sports. As well as long jump and athletics track facilities, the fibre bonded turf can also be installed for multi use games areas where sports like football and hockey are played. The versatility of this surface specification makes it a great investment for schools and clubs as it enables kids to get involved in a range of sports all in one place.
The final part of the installation process for this long jump facility project was to complete the landing pit by filling it with washed and dried silica sand. Having the sand landing pit installed creates a safe area for the students to complete their jumps, as well as making it easy to record distances for competitions. We also supplied a sand pit cover as part of the installation process, this helps to keep the sand free from any dirt or debris and ensures that the long jump facility remains safe for use by the school.
The Finished Long Jump Facility
Once the installation was complete, the final product was a state of the art long jump athletics facility complete with a top quality sand pit and an extra practise area. The school are very pleased with their new long jump runway and are keen to get all the students involved in new athletics activities. Having the long jump runway surfacing installed in bright red and blue colours makes the facility even more appealing and fun for the kids.
The school spoke of how please they were with the final long jump runway and sand pit facility:
“As a school we take pride in providing the best possible facilities for our students. We are currently investing in several areas in order to further enhance our national sporting reputation. Soft Surfaces have installed an impressive double-lane long jump pit, with practise side run-ups, to enable us to deliver high quality athletics lessons and training. It will certainly be put to good use in the summer and, no doubt, serve to improve the jumping standards of our students in the future.” – Mark Duncan, Assistant Headteacher at The Coopers’ Company and Coborn School
If you’re interested in installing a long jump facility like this one at your school or club, please don’t hesitate to fill in our contact form and we’ll be happy to discuss your project with you. We can also help schools to find funding for long jump runways to help cover the cost of the installation process. If you’d like any further information about this and the other products we install, please go to our website at https://www.softsurfaces.co.uk/ where you can see our whole range of services and case study examples of our work.
Have you ever used an athletics track with needlepunch surfacing? What did you think about it?
- Astro Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Athletics Landing Sand Pit Construction, Design, Costs
- Athletics Landing Sand Pit Covers
- Athletics Surface Cleaning and Maintenance Costs
- Athletics Surfacing Specification Options
- Athletics Track Maintenance
- Athletics Track Surfacing
- Benefits of Athletics for Schools
- Benefits of Trim Trails for Physical Development
- Costs to Build a Compact Athletics Facility
- Costs to Build a Long Jump Runway
- Costs to Construct Triple Jump Athletics Facility
- Fixed Solid Schools Take-off Board
- Javelin Runway Construction Companies, Contractors, Suppliers
- Javelin Runway Distance, Length, Dimensions
- Javelin Runway Specification, Design, Costs
- Long Jump Construction Companies, Contractors, Suppliers
- Long Jump Pit Construction in Stockport, Manchester
- Long Jump Pit Installation in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Long Jump Run Up Construction Specialists
- Long Jump Runway
- Long Jump Runway and High Jump Fan Installation in Derby
- Long Jump Runway Construction in Somerset
- Long Jump Runway Free Facility Funding Q&A
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Chorley Lancashire
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Colchester Essex
- Long Jump Runway Installation in Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Long Jump Surface Construction Athletics Track Costs
- Long Jump Track Construction Specialists
- Long Jump Track With Sand Pit Construction in Slough, Berkshire
- Long/Triple Jump Runway Design
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans, Hertfordshire
- Multi Use Long Jump Facility Installation in Essex
- Multisport Installation in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Norwich
- Multisport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston, Lancashire
- Multisport Long Jump With Practice Lane in Leicester
- Multisport Synthetic High Jump Installation in Berkshire
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Multisport Synthetic Resurfacing in Southwark, London
- Pole Vault Run Up Surfacing
- Pole Vault Runway Construction
- Polymeric Long Jump Essex
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Construction in Glasgow
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Construction in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Polymeric Long Jump Pit Installation in Liverpool, Merseyside
- Polymeric Long Jump Runway in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Polymeric Surface Long Jump Installation in Cardiff, Wales
- Polymeric Surface Long Jump Runway in Kettering, Northamptonshire
- Rake for Maintaining Long Jump Sandpit
- Rubber Kerbs to Athletic Triple Jump Runways
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Synthetic Long Jump Athletics Track Construction in Peterborough
- Throwing Circle Construction Companies, Contractors, Suppliers
- Triple Jump Sand Pit Rubber Edges
- What Are Athletics Tracks?
Let us know your views on this topic and don’t forget to ask if you have any questions about what we do!