Lots of children’s playgrounds have EPDM Wetpour surfaces to provide a colourful atmosphere with added safety qualities. The designs of this play surface can be varied as there is a variety of bright colours to choose from.
However over time the coloured rubber can be affected by UV degradation and discolouration. These are processes which occur when the flooring is exposed to high levels of radiation from the sun, and they can lead to changes in the overall appearance.
Some colours of wetpour surfacing are more prone to higher levels of degradation from UV (ultraviolet) light exposure. This means that certain colours in the manufacturing process of the rubber can fade over time because they have been exposed to ultra violet radiation from the sun. Generally speaking, the brighter colours are more prone to UV Degradation. During this process the sunlight radiation attacks the synthetic polymeric within the EPDM material. This then leads to a loss of the original vibrant colour.
Check our our full wetpour colour range to see all of the different options we have available. The colours which are generally more susceptible to this deterioration include Purple, Bright Yellow, Pillar Box (bright) Red and Orange and we recommend applying these colours as smaller design features rather than main background colours. However different factors in the surrounding outdoor space will also have an impact on the overall affects. Please contact us and speak to a member of our team if you have any questions or you need some advice on a coloured wetpour play area design.
During the installation process for EPDM play surfacing, we mix the rubber granules for the wearing course with resin before laying onto the base course. A process of UV discolouration can occur when the resin reacts with the ultraviolet rays, causing it to turn a yellow/brown shade rather than clear.
This can then affect the appearance of the surface colour, of the laid rubber crumb and can mean that they do not truly represent the chosen colour design. The discolouration of outdoor play areas can happen with all colours of EPDM however, some show a more visible change than others.
For this reason, we often recommend using certain colours more than others to ensure that every playground we install has a high quality, long lasting finish. You should avoid large areas of Blue for example as bay lines can be more visible than on other colours.
Many schools, play groups and public parks have vibrant nursery play areas installed to capture children’s imaginations. These can include numerous design features and graphics which are completely customisable for each client. We always aim to complete our work to the highest possible standards. We’ll also ensure that we apply any aftercare maintenance where necessary.
Find Out More
The effects of UV degradation and discolouration will vary depending on a number of factors for each different site. Things like location, area size, and chosen colour will all have an effect on any weathering from sunlight. Other things like nearby trees and structures can affect this as well.
Please feel free to speak with a member of our team by filling in the contact form. We’ll gladly provide some further details on the EPDM play surfacing we supply . We would also be happy to send you over some more information regarding the colour Degradation and Discolouration. Alternatively one of our experts can speak to you about this personally.
You Might Also Like
Here are some wetpour articles you might like:
- Benefits of Wetpour
- Blue EPDM Rubber Crumb Surfacing Suppliers
- De Icer Liquid Applied Deicer Product to Wetpour Safety Flooring Pathways
- EPDM / SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- EPDM wet pour rubber surfacing colour options
- Existing Safer Pour Rubber Surface Renovation With Recap Overlay
- Grass Blend Wetpour Rubber EPDM Flooring
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring In Somerset
- Poured In Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Red EPDM Rubber Crumb Surfacing Suppliers
- Removal of Rubber Play Tiles & Wet Pour Upgrade
- Renovating Existing Rubber Flooring with Recap Wetpour Overlay
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Safety Surface Overlay
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safer Pour Shock Attenuation Surface For Children’s Parks Flooring
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing For Kids Play Area
- Soft Services Safety Flooring In EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Upgrade, Refurbishment, Replacement of Wetpour Flooring
- UV Degradation and Discolouration of EPDM Wetpour
- Water Blend Wetpour Colour Safety Surfacing
- Wet Pour Design Options
- Wet Pour Installation
- Wet Pour Installation in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
- Wet Pour Resin UV Colour Change
- Wet Pour Safety Flooring Concrete Sub Base
- Wet Pour Surfacing in Harrow, London
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass in Fulbourn, Cambridge
- Wetpour Band Perimeter Shrinkage Repairs
- Wetpour Colours
- Wetpour Graphic Designs for Nurseries
- Wetpour Graphics Rubber Inserts
- Wetpour Installation in Amersham, Buckinghamshire
- Wetpour Installation in Caerhun, Conwy
- Wetpour Installation in Chelmsford, Essex
- Wetpour Installation in Glasgow, Scotland
- Wetpour Installation in Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute
- Wetpour Installation in Kendray, Barnsley
- Wetpour Installation in Llanelli, Wales
- Wetpour Installation in London
- Wetpour Installation in Prestwich, Bury
- Wetpour Installation in Rothwell, Leeds
- Wetpour Installation in Tenterden, Kent
- Wetpour Installation in Uxbridge, London
- Wetpour Installation in Westlands, Newcastle-under-Lyme
- Wetpour Nationwide
- WetPour Rubber Granulate Spheres To Playground Surfacing
- Wetpour Rubber Surfacing MOT Type 1 Sub Base
- Wetpour Sub Base Specifications
- What is a Wetpour Repair Kit?
- What is Wet Pour?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing is ideal for Playgrounds?
- Yellowing, Discolouring of Rubber Crumb Wet Pour Surfacing
- 40mm Thick Wetpour Insitu Synthetic Surfacing