Wetpour Sub Base Specifications
Wetpour rubber surfacing is extremely popular for children’s play areas throughout the UK. It is made up of a two tier system consisting of an SBR shockpad and a coloured EPDM wearing course. As specialist contractors, we are able to install this flooring type onto a number of wetpour sub base specifications.
It is important to correctly prepare the ground before the safety surface is put down to ensure a strong and durable finish. Without the right groundworks, there are risks of the surfacing breaking up, being unstable and requiring wet pour repairs in the future.
Please get in touch with us through our contact form if you would like to install one of these playground safety surfaces. We have worked with many schools and nurseries and would be happy to provide a quote for you.
Suitable Bases for Wetpour
The best types of base for this rubber play flooring are smooth, permeable, strong surfaces. This is important as we need to make sure that the school playground flooring will be strong and safe for use by children every day. Here are some common specifications that we can lay wetpour onto.
Porous Stone Base
One of the most commonly used wetpour sub base specifications in a playground is a porous stone surface. This is made up of lots of loose stones which, when compacted, provide a stable and permeable finish. The porosity means that water will drain through it and into the ground, reducing any risk of flooding on the play area.
Laying this type of foundation for a playground surface will typically use this process:
- Excavate the ground to a 125mm depth, plus the depth of wetpour to lay (minimum 40mm).
- Install PCC edgings across each side of the area.
- Lay and compact the layer of stones to a depth of 125mm.
We can then lay the rubber playground surfacing directly onto this. Many clients will choose to install the groundworks in this way as it is the most simple and cost effective method.
Open Textured Macadam
Macadam (or tarmac) is a hard and durable material which provides a great foundation for wet pour play surfaces. It is porous which means any water that drains through the playground flooring itself will then drain through the base and into the ground below. This helps to prevent water from sitting on the surface and causing flooding to the area.
The process of installing the rubber surfacing with a porous open textured macadam sub base would be as follows:
- Excavate the existing ground to a depth of 150mm, plus the depth of wetpour surfacing which we will lay.
- Lay PCC edges along each side of your chosen area.
- Install and compact permeable stone to a depth of 100mm.
- Install and screed 50mm of open textured macadam.
Once this is complete and the tarmac has been left to cure fully, our team can lay the chosen wetpour system on top. Whilst the option of a macadam foundation does provide the most durable finish, it is not always cost effective for every project.
It also requires extra time to cure before our team can install the playground surface itself. If you need to reduce the costs and duration of your project, we’d recommend the porous stone sub base as this still provides a suitable foundation.
No Fines Concrete
We can install rubber play surfacing onto a permeable concrete specification. This usually consists of limestone chippings mixed with neat cement and water. Due to this base surface being ‘no fines’ it also offers porosity as it doesn’t contain any smaller pieces of stone which could block up the air holes. Therefore water is able to soak through it and pass through to the ground, meaning the play surface won’t flood.
We will generally install the permeable concrete using this method:
- Excavate the current surface down to a 175mm depth, along with the chosen depth of wet pour surface.
- Put PCC edges around the perimeter of the space.
- Lay and compact 100mm of porous stone.
- Lay and screed 75mm of no fines concrete.
Once this foundation sets and cures, we can lay the wetpour rubber flooring onto it. This leaves a strong and level finish for a safe playground facility.
Each of these three wetpour sub base specifications offers the right performance and safety qualities to support a playground surface. If the existing area is already porous tarmac or concrete, it is likely that we will be able to lay a wet pour system directly onto this. However it will depend entirely on the condition on the surfacing.
Please note that the depth between the top of the edgings and the top of the base system should be no greater than the depth of the wetpour we’ll lay. This is to create a smooth and level finish for the play area surface, and to make sure that the rubber flooring meets the correct Critical Fall Height ratings.
This video below shows the full installation of a playground using wet pour graphics and a colourful design. The rubber flooring provides safety for children using the different pieces of equipment on this facility.
Unsuitable Bases for Wetpour
There are a number of surface types that we would not be able to install the wetpour playground system onto. These include:
- Non-Porous Concrete or Tarmac – Due to the specification of wetpour being permeable, a non porous concrete or tarmac surface would not be an acceptable foundation. This is because any rainwater not be able to pass into the ground below. It would therefore sit within the layer of rubber and weaken it. As well as this it could potentially cause flooding to the play area.
- Grass – An existing grass area would not provide the right stability as a base for wetpour. There is also the risk that grass and weeds could start to grow up through the playground surfacing if we lay it onto grass.
- Mud – A muddy surface wouldn’t be strong enough to safely support a wet pour rubber system. However an alternative safety surface which can be put onto mud or grass is rubber mulch and we can install this as well.
When we are installing the EPDM rubber flooring for a play area, it’s vitally important to have a suitable sub base put down beforehand. This helps to ensure the strength and durability of the play area, making certain that it lasts a long time and is safe for children to use on a daily basis.
Find Out More
If you need any further information about the various wetpour sub base specifications that we can use, please feel free to contact us today. We also offer advice on prices and designs for your playground surface. So simply fill in the contact box on this page to get in touch with our friendly team.
- 40mm Thick Wetpour Insitu Synthetic Surfacing
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of Wetpour
- Black Rubber Crumb Top up for Artificial Pitch
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour and Artificial Turf Installation in Harlow
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Black Wetpour Overlay at a Playground in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
- Black Wetpour Play Area With 5% Green Fleck in Swansea
- Black Wetpour Play Area with 5% Green Fleck in Swansea, Wales
- Blue EPDM Rubber Crumb Surfacing Suppliers
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- De Icer Liquid Applied Deicer Product to Wetpour Safety Flooring Pathways
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Existing Safer Pour Rubber Surface Renovation With Recap Overlay
- Grass Blend Wetpour Rubber EPDM Flooring
- Green Playground Safety Flooring in Somerset, UK
- Green Rubber Tarmac Playground Surfacing in Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales
- Green Wetpour Flooring with Graphics Install in Exeter
- Green Wetpour Play Area Surfacing in Southampton
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface Installation in Stockport, Greater Manchester
- Long Jump Runway and High Jump Fan Installation in Derby
- Multicoloured Wetpour Surfacing Design in York
- Multicoloured Wetpour Surfacing Design in York
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Buckinghamshire
- MultiSport Long Jump Installation at a School in Essex
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Coventry
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston
- Multisport Long Jump with practice Lane Install in Leicester
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump Installation in Oxford
- MultiSport Synthetic Surface Install in Oxford
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Nursery School Wetpour Surfacing Repair in Portsmouth
- Nursery School Wetpour Surfacing Repair in Portsmouth
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Red EPDM Rubber Crumb Surfacing Suppliers
- Removal of Rubber Play Tiles & Wet Pour Upgrade
- Renovating Existing Rubber Flooring With Recap Wetpour Overlay
- Rhino Mulch, in Situ Laid Polyurethane Bound Rubber Bark Surface
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Safety Surface Overlay
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Upgrade, Refurbishment, Replacement of Wetpour Flooring
- Uv Degradation and Discolouration of EPDM Wetpour
- Water Blend Wetpour Colour Safety Surfacing
- Wet Pour Construction
- Wet Pour Design Options
- Wet Pour Installation
- Wet Pour Installation in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
- Wet Pour Installation in Warrington, Cheshire
- Wet Pour Repair
- Wet Pour Resin UV Colour Change
- Wet Pour Safety Flooring Concrete Sub Base
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wet Pour Surfacing in Harrow, London
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass in Fulbourn, Cambridge
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation at Hillview Hospital
- Wetpour and Artificial Grass Installation in Coventry, West Midlands
- Wetpour Band Perimeter Shrinkage Repairs
- Wetpour Colours
- Wetpour Costs
- Wetpour Graphic Designs for Nurseries
- Wetpour Graphics
- Wetpour Graphics Installation in Wrexham, Wales
- Wetpour Graphics Rubber Inserts
- Wetpour Installation in Amersham, Buckinghamshire
- Wetpour Installation in Caerhun, Conwy
- Wetpour Installation in Chelmsford, Essex
- Wetpour Installation in Glasgow, Scotland
- Wetpour Installation in Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute
- Wetpour Installation in Kendray, Barnsley
- Wetpour Installation in Llanelli, Wales
- Wetpour Installation in London
- Wetpour Installation in Prestwich, Bury
- Wetpour Installation in Rothwell, Leeds
- Wetpour Installation in Tenterden, Kent
- Wetpour Installation in Uxbridge, London
- Wetpour Installation in Watford, London
- Wetpour Installation in Westlands, Newcastle-Under-Lyme
- Wetpour Maintenance
- Wetpour Nationwide
- Wetpour Pathway Installation at a Retirement Home in Leicester
- Wetpour Playground Design Installation in Glasgow
- Wetpour Playground Surfacing Installation in Derby
- Wetpour Repair in Crawley, West Sussex
- Wetpour Repair in Liverpool Merseyside
- Wetpour Repair Kits
- Wetpour Rubber Surfacing Mot Type 1 Sub Base
- Wetpour Specification
- Wetpour Sports Court Flooring in Dartmouth
- Wetpour Sub Base Specifications
- Wetpour Suppliers
- Wetpour Surface Installation in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Wetpour Surface Installation in Eastbourne, East Sussex
- Wetpour Surface Installation in Woking, Surrey
- Wetpour Surface Overlay in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Wetpour Surface Roadway Design in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Wetpour Surfacing Installation in Lytham St Annes
- Wetpour Surfacing Installation in Wembley, London
- What Is a Wetpour Repair Kit?
- What Is Wet Pour?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
- Yellowing, Discolouring of Rubber Crumb Wet Pour Surfacing