Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?
With hockey being one of the most popular sports on the P.E. curriculum, many schools dedicate a lot of resources to the sport but fail to recognise that one of the most important resources (the surface) plays a huge part.
In today’s post, we shall be covering why you should consider swapping a natural surface for an artificial hockey pitch. Check out our full range of different sport surfaces here to see what’s available.
Benefits of Synthetic Turf for Hockey
Artificial turf has many great benefits with it that not a lot of people know about. Some of these benefits include:
- Usable in different weather conditions – Many sports that play on a natural grass turf face one major problem. Weather. Winter can freeze up the grass and make it solid and painful to fall on, rain can cause puddles to form and slow down the pace of the sport and sun can cause the pitch to lose its colour. Synthetic grass doesn’t suffer from these problems as much and can really allow your players to carry on playing regardless of conditions.
- Strong and versatile – With many sports fields taking a lot of damage during activity, natural grass usually struggles to keep up with the demands of players. This can lead to your pitch gaining horrific damage and ruining its looks. Synthetic grass, however, can handle the heavy use without showing any problems for over 500 hours.
- No growing – When installed, natural grass requires a period to grow to a certain point until it is okay to play on. This can waste a lot of time and cause some matches to even be cancelled.
Synthetic grass doesn’t need any time to grow. As soon as it’s installed, it can be used pretty much instantly with no time being wasted. In addition, this saves time on maintenance as you won’t have to dedicate so much of your day to keeping the pitch in great condition.
Synthetic Hockey Pitch Surface
Synthetic Hockey Pitches can be made up from a wide range of different surface types. However, the most commonly selected (and the ones we recommend) are 2G artificial turf and Multisport synthetic turf. Both offer an incredible environment playing hockey in as well as many benefits to the players and the owners.
2G artificial turf is a sand-based surface with short synthetic grass blades sticking up. Many people agree that this surface is one of the best to play hockey on due to how flat the ground is. One of the many problems hockey players can encounter is an uneven pitch. Certain areas may slow down the ball whilst others may speed it up. With this playing surface, however, this problem doesn’t occur as water is drained away and the sand provides a good level of cushioning and friction.
Multisport synthetic grass is a lot more popular within schools and is also known as activity surfacing. Whilst 2G artificial grass is a lot more specific as it’s mainly suited around hockey, multisport artificial grass offers a more suitable surface for a wide range of sports. It can be cheaper for schools as the hockey pitch can support multiple sports instead of requiring separate pitch installations, many schools have recently started to get these types of pitches installed.
Maintaining Artificial Hockey Surfaces
Maintaining your artificial surface is important. Even though it doesn’t require the same time and resources as maintaining your natural grass, it’s still important to keep it running well. Firstly, always perform a routine check is a great place to start. Walk around your pitch and see if you can spot any sort of problems with the surface. Maybe some of it is starting to tear up or maybe the sand infill has been lost over time.
If you spot any damage to the hockey pitch, act quickly. Acting straight away can save you a lot of money and time as leaving the problem may let it develop into something worse and possibly lead to further issues occurring in the future. Contacting us at Soft Surfaces will allow us to help analyse what the problem is and recommend the right course of action to take.
If you spot no damage, make sure to keep the hockey pitch clean. Brush across the surface with a soft brush to remove any dirt from the surface and to keep it clean to avoid any dirt entering the surface. Dirt and contaminants can end up blocking the porous surface and cause draining problems whilst making it quite dangerous to play on.
Soft brushing can also help evenly distribute sand around the pitch and stop build-ups occurring on certain sides of the pitch. By this happening, you can keep your pitch performing at its full potential and avoid any unnecessary problems from popping up. The level of play required will depend on whether or not you need England Hockey standards or just recreational use.
School and Club Hockey Facilities
As mentioned previously, a lot of schools like using the Multisport synthetic grass due to how it’s a cheaper alternative than buying several different pitches for sports. Customisation is available on both surfaces as well to really allow school and clubs to reflect themselves and create a more unique playing environment.
Different colours and patterns can be chosen as well as different coloured lining to make sure that you have full control over how the pitch looks in the end. Many people like this feature of synthetic turfs and usually leads to a lot of people enquiring about them as again, you can make your turf a lot more personal with these factors.
These artificial hockey pitch surfaces are also incredibly soft and can have shock pads installed underneath to minimise any injuries that might occur whilst taking part in the sport. Shock pads give kids a little more confidence during the sport as they’re not as scared about injuries and pain and will more focus on the sport.
- 3 Reasons to Build Dual Use MUGA Ball Court
- 3g 5-a-Side Football Pitch Installation in Hampshire
- 3G Artificial Grass Construction in Liverpool
- 3g Artificial Pitch Surfacing in Whitehall, London
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Construction in Woking, Surrey
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing Contractors
- 3G Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Cheltenham Gloucestershire
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Hackney, London
- 3g Grass Installation in Bournemouth, Dorset
- 3g Grass Pitch Installation in Bradford, Yorkshire
- 3g Pitch Construction in Birmingham, West Midlands
- 3G Sports Pitch Construction
- 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Artificial Synthetic Grass Pitches Explanation
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Sports Pitches – Difference in Specification
- 40mm Depth Longer Piled Synthetic Pitch Surfacing
- 5 a Side Football Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- 5 Reasons Why Your Artificial Grass May Have Melted
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch 3g Artificial Grass Surfacing in Liverpool
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch Construction With 3g Artificial Turf
- 60mm Thick Long Pile Synthetic Turf All Weather Sports Pitches
- 7 a Side Football Pitch in 3g Artificial Sports Surface
- 7 a Side Soccer Long Pile Synthetic Grass Pitches
- Acrylic Sports Court Spraying Anti Slip Paint Surface
- Adidas Polymeric Installation in Keir Hardie, London
- Algal Squidge Sand Infilled Sports Pitch Contamination
- All Purpose Sports Pitch Builders
- All Weather Pitch Groundwork Contractors
- All Weather Pitch Sports Surfaces
- All Weather Pitches – Standing Water, Flooding, Poor Draining?
- Anti Slip Sports Court Painting in Preston, Lancashire
- Artificial Cricket Wicket Surfacing
- Back to Play Sports Pitch Recovery
- Basketball Court Construction to School Playground
- Benefits of 3g Sports Pitches
- Benefits of Artificial Clay Tennis Court Surfacing
- Billions of Rubber Balls in Fake Grass – 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Pitches?
- Cleaning and Painting of a Tennis Surface in Manchester
- Commissioning Newly Installed Sports Surfacing Test Reports
- Costs Constructing All Weather Pitch
- Costs to Build a Synthetic Clay Tennis Court
- Deep Cleaning Astroturf Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- FA Agree to 3G Technology Artificial Surfacing
- Fibre Bonded Needlepunch Sport Surfacing
- Flooded All Weather Pitch Surface Examination
- Flooded Hockey Pitch Sand Infill Cleaning
- Flooding Astro Turf All Weather Pitch Needs Rejuvenation, Restoration Maintenance
- Floodlight All Weather Sports Pitch
- Floodlit Sports Surface Restoration Upgrade
- Golf Pathways
- Golf Pathways Options, Products, Construction
- How to Maintain a 3g Pitch in Winter
- Impermeable Cushioned Acrylic Tennis Courts
- Independent Sport Flooring Tests to BSEN 13036-4
- Innovation of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Synthetic Artificial Pitch?
- IRB Type 22 Rugby Union Longer Piled Artificial Turf Pitches
- Lano Sports Drive 23 Sand Filled Synthetic Turf
- Lano Sports Interplay 40mm 3g Synthetic Turf
- Leeds Tennis Court Cleaning and Repainting Surfacing
- Long Jump Runway and High Jump Fan Installation in Derby
- MUGA Sports Court Cleaning and Painting at a school in Oxfordshire
- Multi Lane Polymeric Long Jump Construction in St Albans
- Multi User Sports Court
- Multisport Long Jump Construction in Buckinghamshire
- MultiSport Long Jump Installation at a School in Essex
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Coventry
- MultiSport Long Jump Pit Installation in Preston
- Multisport Long Jump with practice Lane Install in Leicester
- Multisport Runway Installation in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
- Multisport Synthetic Long Jump Installation in Oxford
- MultiSport Synthetic Surface Install in Oxford
- Netball Court Construction in Stockport
- Options for Flooded Synthetic All Weather Pitches
- Outdoor Basketball Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Football Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Sports Surface Clean & Paint in Glasgow
- Outdoor Sports Surfacing Slip Tester Insitu Testing
- Padel Tennis Court Construction Contractors
- Padel Tennis Court Surfacing Installers
- Polymeric Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- Polymeric Surface Basketball Court Installation in Cheadle, Cheshire
- Practice Cage Cricket Wicket Surfaces
- Proactive Maintenance to Artificial Sports Courts
- Professional Tennis Court Painting
- Profoot MSI Lano Sports Artificial Specification
- Q26 Special Surfacing/Pavings for Sport/General Amenity
- Reactive Maintenance on Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Reactive Maintenance to Astroturf All Weather Pitches
- Reasons Why All Weather Pitch Surfacing Gets Waterlogged and Flooded
- Recolouring Moisture Cure Anti Slip Paint & Line Marking to Sport MUGAs
- Recolouring Sports Court Surfaces
- Recreational Basketball MUGA Sports Pitch
- Recreational Mini Tennis MUGA Sports Pitch
- Refurbishing Synthetic Grass All Weather Pitches With Rejuvenation
- Refurbishment of Run Down Netball Courts
- Repairing Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Residential MUGA Tennis Courts Painting Specialists
- RFU, RFL, IRB Sports Artificial Pitch Long Pile Synthetic Grass
- Rubber Golf Pathway Installation in Prestbury
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubberised Sbr Mixed Insitu With Pu Binder on Sports Surface Shockpads
- Sand Filled MUGA Surfacing
- Sand Filled Synthetic Turf Pitch Costs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- Shock Absorption Vertical Deformation Field Testing
- Should You Clean or Resurface Your Tennis Court?
- Size of 5 a Side Court MUGA
- Size of Netball Court Sports MUGAs
- Small Sided Football Dual Use Games Area
- Socketed Tennis, Basketball, Netball Posts Replacement Lid Sockets
- Soft Services MUGA Sports Pitch Surfacing
- Soft Services Multi Use Games Areas Surfacing
- Specialists in Building Artificial Football Fields
- Spending Your Sport Premium Funding
- Sport England Primary Spaces PS4 Design
- Sport Pitches Surface Finishes
- Sports Coatings Macadam Acrylic Anti Slip Surface Paint
- Sports Court Anti Slip Painting in Leicester
- Sports Court Cleaning and Painting in Sheffield
- Sports Court Designs
- Sports Court Maintenance in Fleetwood, Lancashire
- Sports Facility Maintenance
- Sports Pitch Specification
- Sports Pitch Surfacing
- Sports Rebound Fence
- Sports Surface
- Sports Surface Construction
- Sports Surfacing Field Tests to Damaged Areas
- Sports Surfacing Rejuvenation Maintenance Golborne
- Sports-Cote Court Binder and Aggregate Rich Acrylic Non Slip Paint
- STP, ATP, MUGA 4G All Weather Pitches
- Synthetic 3g Soccer Sports Surface
- Synthetic AGP Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- Synthetic Grass Sports Surface Rejuvenation
- Synthetic Sports Pitches Corrective Maintenance Services
- Synthetic Turf Football Field
- Synthetic Turf Football Field Installers
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Installation in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
- Synthetic Turf Pitch Ball Roll Tests
- Synthetic Turf Sports Fields
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Sports Surface Suppliers
- Synthetic Turf Synthetic Soccer Sports Pitch
- Tennis Court Construction
- Tennis Court Construction Specifications
- Tennis Court Contractors Refurbishment UK Directory
- Tennis Court Contractors Repairers Directory UK
- Tennis Court Maintenance – Deep Clean and Recolouring
- Tennis Court Maintenance in Woking, Surrey
- Tennis Court Maintenance Specialist Contractors
- Tennis Court Synthetic Turf Cleaning Maintenance
- Tennis Courts Refurbishment Maintenance Lancashire
- Third Generation 3g Artificial Grass Sports Surfacing
- Touch Rugby Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- Twin Bar Panel Ball Court Fences
- Twin Bar Rebound Weldmesh Ball Stop MUGA Fencing
- Type 1 Macadam Multi Use Games Area Sports Surfacing
- Unfilled Synthetic Sports Turf Surfacing
- Upgrade Convert Rundown Tennis Court MUGA
- Vertical Ball Rebound Bounce Sports Surfacing Tests
- Waterlogged Artificial Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Waterlogged Synthetic All Weather Pitch Solutions
- What Are 3g Pitches?
- What Is Artificial Grass?
- What Is the Tennis Court Builder?
- Why Air Compressed Rejuvenation?
- Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?
- Why Is My All Weather Sports Pitch Surfacing Waterlogged?
- Why Is My Synthetic All Weather Pitch Holding Water and Flooding?
- Will Rejuvenation Maintenance Revitalise My Sports Pitches?
If you are interested in the idea of a 2G artificial turf or a Multisport synthetic surface, then get in contact with us today. With over 20 years of experience, our team will be able to help with any questions or queries with some of the best answers in the industry. Send us your enquiries for hockey pitches now and get started on bringing your ideas to life!