Should You Clean or Resurface Your Tennis Court?
Tennis courts are a common facility in many different locations. Ranging from homes to schools, many people have used them and enjoy playing the sport regularly. But if the court doesn’t look or feel good, then people will tend to avoid it. So how can this problem be avoided and solved?
It’s not uncommon for someone to think that the area needs completely resurfacing if it has fallen into disrepair. But this is not always the case. So, should you clean or resurface your tennis court?
Common Tennis Court Problems
Many people notice that their sport surface is degrading when common tennis court problems like these start occurring:
- Moss/Algae coverage – The surface starts the have areas becoming infested with the contaminants which seem to be growing over certain time periods. See more about sport surface maintenance here for a detailed explanation.
- Drainage of water failing – Puddles of dirty water seem to be forming with no drainage happening at all, which can lead to even more contaminants thriving.
- Slippery surface – Whilst on the surface, people may notice that they can’t get a strong grip on it and end up slipping around quite a bit.
- Weeds start growing – Even though most courts have a layer which prevents this, weeds can start growing through to the surface which can be a clear sign that some maintenance is required.
- Fading of the paint – Being more of an aesthetic point, some people may start to notice their court is degrading once the look of it is becoming a lot more faded. This can also contribute to a loss of slip resistance.
Points like these are usually great indicators that the court needs to have a good clean to get it looking brand new and working at its full potential. If you do notice these issues, then don’t ignore them. Act straight away to avoid any more serious damage from occurring.
Get in touch with our team today to find out more about the services we offer and see how we can fix problems with your surface.
How to Clean a Tennis Court
Cleaning a tennis court varies depending on what type of surface you have and how badly it needs cleaning. Below are the three most common methods used by our team to make sure that your court becomes clean and fresh to use again.
- Porous Macadam – One of the most common types of hard sports surfacing, many people have problems when it comes to keeping porous macadam surfaces clean. Our team will come equipped with power washers filled with a specially designed tennis courts solution, allowing for easy removal of debris. In addition, we can also apply moss and algae treatments if wanted. Regular brushing is recommended afterwards to keep dirt from getting stuck.
- Polymeric Rubber – Another type of surfacing used for tennis, polymeric rubber is quite like porous macadam in terms of cleaning. View this post to find out about the differences between the two surfaces. A specially designed solution is used and is applied by power washers onto the surface. When a power washer is used on both surfaces, we keep the distance quite far and clean at an angle, so all debris can be targeted and that it doesn’t damage the floor even more. Brushing is also recommended to prevent dirt from building up.
- Synthetic Turf – A different type of surface means a different type of cleaning process. Drag brushing is the common method for cleaning synthetic turf and removing dirt. After the surface has had a thorough brushing, a redistribution of the sand infill is started to make the pitch feel brand new. If the turf has become badly contaminated with moss, our team can perform a professional rejuvenation process to remove all traces of the contaminant.
As you can see, different courts require different cleaning due to how the specifications are unique from each other. You should take some time to analyse how dirty your court is and what type it is. By doing this, you save a lot of time just going for a random method and just wasting your time and resources. Check out this case study which shows our team cleaning and repainting a facility in Leeds.
The video above shows our team thoroughly cleaning and repainting a sport surface in Suffolk.
Benefits of Cleaning Tennis Courts
Tennis facilities that are regularly cleaned wield a lot more benefits than those that are just left to build up dirt and rot. These benefits of cleaning tennis courts include:
- Increasing the lifespan of your sport surfacing
- No unnecessary damage occurring
- Risks of users slipping/getting hurt decreased significantly
- Appearance looks great
- No resurfacing needed
- Great drainage
There are a lot more but these are some of the main benefits that people usually think of. Cleaning is incredibly important when it comes to making sure that your facility is working at its optimum and nothing less. After all, you only deserve the best when it comes to it so make sure that your court stays on top of all the problems and that it’s all clean. This is especially true if you are wanting to use the facility for LTA playing standards or other competitive events.
Resurfacing Your Sports Facility
In the worst case scenario, your tennis court has become heavily contaminated with moss and algae. In addition, some of the court is starting to degrade and have pieces coming off it. Not all hope is lost though, as there is still one course of action you can take to save your court. That being resurfacing the whole area and starting again.
Resurfacing is usually the last resort by many due to the requirement of a lot of time and money being required for this process. If the court has been badly affected by damage and lack of maintenance over long periods of time, it could be the only option.
Firstly, you must be able to provide details on what kind of problems the court has. Doing this allows us to understand the severity of the problem and to see if there is any other option we can offer to save you money and time.
If the court needs resurfacing, our team will organise a date where they will come to the location and perform either a resurfacing of tarmac or carpet (depending on the surface you originally had). You could also choose to have a completely new specification installed if you would prefer.
Once the resurfacing process is finished, you’ll have a completely new facility with the highest playing standards. For hard courts, we’ll apply a new coating of anti-slip paint in a colour of your choice along with line markings for a clear appearance.
Find Out More
If you are wondering whether to clean or resurface your tennis court, then get in contact with us here at Soft Surfaces. With over 20 years of experience, we will be more than happy to help with any questions or queries you may have about the sport surfacing. So, send us an enquiry and one of our team members will get back to you as quick as possible.
- 3 Reasons to Build Dual Use MUGA Ball Court
- 3g 5-a-Side Football Pitch Installation in Hampshire
- 3g Artificial Pitch Surfacing in Whitehall, London
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Construction in Woking, Surrey
- 3g Artificial Sports Pitch Resurfacing Contractors
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Cheltenham Gloucestershire
- 3g Football Pitch Resurfacing in Hackney, London
- 3g Grass Installation in Bournemouth, Dorset
- 3g Grass Pitch Installation in Bradford, Yorkshire
- 3g Pitch Construction in Birmingham, West Midlands
- 3G Sports Pitch Construction
- 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Artificial Synthetic Grass Pitches Explanation
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Sports Pitches – Difference in Specification
- 40mm Depth Longer Piled Synthetic Pitch Surfacing
- 5 a Side Football Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- 5 Reasons Why Your Artificial Grass May Have Melted
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch 3g Artificial Grass Surfacing in Liverpool
- 5-a-Side Football Pitch Construction With 3g Artificial Turf
- 60mm Thick Long Pile Synthetic Turf All Weather Sports Pitches
- 7 a Side Football Pitch in 3g Artificial Sports Surface
- 7 a Side Soccer Long Pile Synthetic Grass Pitches
- Acrylic Sports Court Spraying Anti Slip Paint Surface
- Adidas Polymeric Installation in Keir Hardie, London
- Algal Squidge Sand Infilled Sports Pitch Contamination
- All Purpose Sports Pitch Builders
- All Weather Pitch Groundwork Contractors
- All Weather Pitch Sports Surfaces
- All Weather Pitches – Standing Water, Flooding, Poor Draining?
- Anti Slip Sports Court Painting in Preston, Lancashire
- Artificial Cricket Wicket Surfacing
- Back to Play Sports Pitch Recovery
- Basketball Court Construction to School Playground
- Benefits of 3g Sports Pitches
- Benefits of Artificial Clay Tennis Court Surfacing
- Billions of Rubber Balls in Fake Grass – 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g Pitches?
- Commissioning Newly Installed Sports Surfacing Test Reports
- Costs Constructing All Weather Pitch
- Costs to Build a Synthetic Clay Tennis Court
- Deep Cleaning Astroturf Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- FA Agree to 3G Technology Artificial Surfacing
- Fibre Bonded Needlepunch Sport Surfacing
- Flooded All Weather Pitch Surface Examination
- Flooded Hockey Pitch Sand Infill Cleaning
- Flooding Astro Turf All Weather Pitch Needs Rejuvenation, Restoration Maintenance
- Floodlight All Weather Sports Pitch
- Floodlit Sports Surface Restoration Upgrade
- Golf Pathways
- Golf Pathways Options, Products, Construction
- How to Maintain a 3g Pitch in Winter
- Impermeable Cushioned Acrylic Tennis Courts
- Independent Sport Flooring Tests to BSEN 13036-4
- Innovation of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Generation Synthetic Artificial Pitch?
- IRB Type 22 Rugby Union Longer Piled Artificial Turf Pitches
- Lano Sports Drive 23 Sand Filled Synthetic Turf
- Lano Sports Interplay 40mm 3g Synthetic Turf
- Leeds Tennis Court Cleaning and Repainting Surfacing
- Multi User Sports Court
- Netball Court Construction in Stockport
- Options for Flooded Synthetic All Weather Pitches
- Outdoor Basketball Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Football Court Sports Surfaces
- Outdoor Sports Surfacing Slip Tester Insitu Testing
- Padel Tennis Court Construction Contractors
- Padel Tennis Court Surfacing Installers
- Polymeric Resurfacing in Woking, Surrey
- Polymeric Surface Basketball Court Installation in Cheadle, Cheshire
- Practice Cage Cricket Wicket Surfaces
- Proactive Maintenance to Artificial Sports Courts
- Professional Tennis Court Painting
- Profoot MSI Lano Sports Artificial Specification
- Q26 Special Surfacing/Pavings for Sport/General Amenity
- Reactive Maintenance on Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Reactive Maintenance to Astroturf All Weather Pitches
- Reasons Why All Weather Pitch Surfacing Gets Waterlogged and Flooded
- Recolouring Moisture Cure Anti Slip Paint & Line Marking to Sport MUGAs
- Recolouring Sports Court Surfaces
- Recreational Basketball MUGA Sports Pitch
- Recreational Mini Tennis MUGA Sports Pitch
- Refurbishing Synthetic Grass All Weather Pitches With Rejuvenation
- Refurbishment of Run Down Netball Courts
- Repairing Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Residential MUGA Tennis Courts Painting Specialists
- RFU, RFL, IRB Sports Artificial Pitch Long Pile Synthetic Grass
- Rubber Golf Pathway Installation in Prestbury
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubberised Sbr Mixed Insitu With Pu Binder on Sports Surface Shockpads
- Sand Filled MUGA Surfacing
- Sand Filled Synthetic Turf Pitch Costs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- Shock Absorption Vertical Deformation Field Testing
- Should You Clean or Resurface Your Tennis Court?
- Size of 5 a Side Court MUGA
- Size of Netball Court Sports MUGAs
- Small Sided Football Dual Use Games Area
- Socketed Tennis, Basketball, Netball Posts Replacement Lid Sockets
- Soft Services MUGA Sports Pitch Surfacing
- Soft Services Multi Use Games Areas Surfacing
- Specialists in Building Artificial Football Fields
- Spending Your Sport Premium Funding
- Sport England Primary Spaces PS4 Design
- Sport Pitches Surface Finishes
- Sports Coatings Macadam Acrylic Anti Slip Surface Paint
- Sports Court Anti Slip Painting in Leicester
- Sports Court Cleaning and Painting in Sheffield
- Sports Court Designs
- Sports Court Maintenance in Fleetwood, Lancashire
- Sports Facility Maintenance
- Sports Pitch Specification
- Sports Pitch Surfacing
- Sports Rebound Fence
- Sports Surface
- Sports Surface Construction
- Sports Surfacing Field Tests to Damaged Areas
- Sports Surfacing Rejuvenation Maintenance Golborne
- Sports-Cote Court Binder and Aggregate Rich Acrylic Non Slip Paint
- STP, ATP, MUGA 4G All Weather Pitches
- Synthetic 3g Soccer Sports Surface
- Synthetic AGP Sports Surfacing Maintenance
- Synthetic Grass Sports Surface Rejuvenation
- Synthetic Sports Pitches Corrective Maintenance Services
- Synthetic Turf Football Field
- Synthetic Turf Football Field Installers
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Football Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Installation in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
- Synthetic Turf Pitch Ball Roll Tests
- Synthetic Turf Sports Fields
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Construction
- Synthetic Turf Sports Pitch Contractors
- Synthetic Turf Sports Surface Suppliers
- Synthetic Turf Synthetic Soccer Sports Pitch
- Tennis Court Construction
- Tennis Court Construction Specifications
- Tennis Court Contractors Refurbishment UK Directory
- Tennis Court Contractors Repairers Directory UK
- Tennis Court Maintenance – Deep Clean and Recolouring
- Tennis Court Maintenance in Woking, Surrey
- Tennis Court Maintenance Specialist Contractors
- Tennis Court Synthetic Turf Cleaning Maintenance
- Tennis Courts Refurbishment Maintenance Lancashire
- Third Generation 3g Artificial Grass Sports Surfacing
- Touch Rugby Long Pile Synthetic Turf Pitches
- Twin Bar Panel Ball Court Fences
- Twin Bar Rebound Weldmesh Ball Stop MUGA Fencing
- Type 1 Macadam Multi Use Games Area Sports Surfacing
- Unfilled Synthetic Sports Turf Surfacing
- Upgrade Convert Rundown Tennis Court MUGA
- Vertical Ball Rebound Bounce Sports Surfacing Tests
- Waterlogged Artificial Synthetic Turf Sports Pitches
- Waterlogged Synthetic All Weather Pitch Solutions
- What Are 3g Pitches?
- What Is Artificial Grass?
- What Is the Tennis Court Builder?
- Why Air Compressed Rejuvenation?
- Why Choose an Artificial Hockey Pitch?
- Why Is My All Weather Sports Pitch Surfacing Waterlogged?
- Why Is My Synthetic All Weather Pitch Holding Water and Flooding?
- Will Rejuvenation Maintenance Revitalise My Sports Pitches?