4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
Organisation is an important skill for children to master in school. It affects how they work in lessons and will also be something they take with them into adulthood.
Many playground activities can help teach organisation through fun and education. Check out some ideas for incorporating organisation skills into play below.
1. Sorting and Categorising Games
The activities will involve finding similar items and grouping them together into categories. Children could do this outside by collecting up pebbles, leaves twigs or even outdoor toys like building blocks.
They can then separate these and categorise them by size, shape and colour. This kind of activity makes use of natural features already in the playground. It also offers a simple way to practise counting and sorting.
2. Tidying Toys Away
Having storage facilities for toys in the playground is a great way to save space. It also gives kids the chance to practise organising themselves. Encouraging the children to tidy things away after playing will teach responsibility. It also keeps the outdoor space in order and prevents equipment from being lost.
Large storage sheds or benches with integrated storage offer the perfect place to keep outdoor toys safe. You could also categories the different types of equipment together. This means they can be easily found if someone wants to use them. For example, building blocks in one section, balls in another, skipping ropes in another etc.
Different pieces of furniture on the playground can help with storage. These are multifunctional as children can use them for seating and storing toys.
3. Time Management Activities
Managing time is a key skill for children to master during their school years. From knowing what time to get up in the morning, to knowing how long each lesson is, it’s important to stay on schedule.
There are plenty of outdoor activities which can incorporate time management. Here are a few ideas you could try at your school.
You could use stopwatches and sand timers to keep track of the time. Then ask children to complete a task within a certain time limit. This can become a team game where different groups compete and see who has the fastest time.
Activities you can do against the clock include completing puzzles, building things, making up scenes to act out, and loads more.
Sports with Time Goals
Another way you can incorporate time management is through sports and physical activity. Ask each child to time how long it takes them to run a certain distance or complete an obstacle course.
This doesn’t have to be competitive, but it can give the children a chance to set their own goals and beat them next time. It’s more about improving on their own time rather than trying to beat others.
4. An Organised Playground Design
Another way of maintaining order in the play area is to have a specific place for each type of equipment. This way, children can travel around the playground doing different activities.
It also gives the quieter kids a chance to sit and relax, while more sporty kids can enjoy playing physical games.
Some examples of different playground zones might include:
- A sports area with line markings, goals ends, basketball hoops etc.
- Obstacle course or adventure area with climbing and balancing equipment.
- Seating area for relaxing, chatting and quiet activities.
- Space for playing with small toys like building blocks.
- An area with a sandbox and water table for discovery play.
You don’t have to have a separate space for all these things in your school play area. But splitting up the playground helps create a more organised layout. This way children can choose which activities they want to do during their break. Then they can switch between different games at playtime.
The Importance of Organisation
Organisational skills help children find order and routine in their daily lives. This helps them create a consistent structure, and see patterns and groupings between different items.
Being organised helps to improve performance in lessons as well as the development of other important skills. It’s also a way of developing self-regulation and creating improvements in behaviour. So kids can manage their own time and behaviour without constant adult supervision.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Surfaces
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Surfacing in Hertfordshire
- Playground Surfacing Options
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
There are plenty of ways to encourage organisation and structure on the playground. Why not try to implement some of our tips and see how these can benefit your pupils.