Early Years Outdoor Play
No one can deny how many benefits outdoor play has to offer for children in their early years. With youth obesity being at one of the highest rates to date and more children becoming addicted to technology, it’s becoming vital for the next generation to be given a chance to not be a part of this number and to make a difference.
Early Years outdoor play is a key part of development for these young children and it can contribute to children’s cognitive learning and physical activity.
Importance of Play in Early Years
As soon as a child is born, they are already looking for ways to entertain themselves. From starting with staring at people’s faces and understanding emotion to physically engaging with objects and understanding more about it, letting your child explore and play is incredibly important. Outdoor learning through play can help improve school readiness, see more about this here.
At this point in their lives, children have no understanding of their surroundings, how to communicate properly, how to act, how to fully control their movement and how to process information. The importance of play in the early years is clear as it boosts children’s growth in so many areas.
Children rely on their senses to inform them about the world around them (whatever they can see, hear, touch, smell and taste) and by encouraging them to use these senses more, children will start to interact a lot more often and therefore learn a lot more.
Playgrounds do this perfectly. By allowing children to see and use a wide range of different objects and materials in a bright, interesting and colourful environment with other children around them, they start to learn a lot more about the world around them. See our post here which gives more detail on the benefits of playing outside.
Due to these reasons, the EYFS Statutory Framework was created (learn more about this at Foundation Years). The aim of EYFS outdoor provision is to allow children to learn 7 key areas through learning in fun ways. These areas are:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
All of these topics can be covered with activities in Early Years outdoor play. There are several different EYFS outdoor area design options and pieces of equipment that can be incorporated into playgrounds.
EYFS Nursery Playgrounds
Designing EYFS nursery playgrounds may seem like an incredibly confusing and complicated process, due to the wide amount of areas that must be met, but it’s not hard at all. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, Soft Surfaces can help you create a perfect EYFS playground with no stress.
A wide variety of surfacing can be chosen for outdoor areas ranging from wetpour to rubber mulch. With so many choices surfacing to pick from, you not only can make your playground more unique but a lot more specifically tailored for certain activities.
You might be a bit concerned that the flooring could be installed incorrectly, or it could be unsafe for children to interact with; all our floorings have been specifically tested to BS EN 1177 standards for safety and Critical Fall Height ratings.
We can assure the highest quality when it comes to surface installation and will make sure that when it comes to the design process that your vision becomes a reality. No matter how ridiculous you might think the idea is, we will try our best to make sure that it happens.
Playground Equipment for Early Years Foundation Stage
When it comes to the creation of these playgrounds, there is a wide variety of different equipment which can be installed to make sure that children have a fully enjoyable and educational playtime.
Playground markings allow kids to use their imagination and their thinking skills to play games with them. Not only do they serve a practical purpose but can look aesthetically nice and appealing for the kids, engaging them even more. Check out this post to see more ideas for imaginative play and activity in the Early Years and beyond.
There are plenty of different types of playground equipment for the Early Years Foundation Stage too. Sandpits and water areas give EYFS children the chance to interact with new materials and understand how things can differ from each other. Through this, it gives them an opportunity to learn more about their environment and maybe spark an interest in science.
Physical development areas will encourage kids to engage in a more physical intensive way. Through this, they can improve and maintain their physical and even their mental health through periodic use.
Roleplay will help children understand more about society and social interaction with other people. Developments in social skills and interests can be built up by this activity and let children explore areas in which they have a keen interest.
Music stations present children with chances to interact and hear new noises whilst having the freedom to create this noise without being told off. An increase in creative thoughts can happen, allowing the child to explore other areas of creativity and generate some interest in this section of learning.
It’s important that kids have a wide variety of equipment to interact with so that they aren’t doing the same things repeatedly, as they will end up becoming bored and lose interest. With the equipment above though, EYFS kids will have a wide choice of activities to do meaning that none of them gets stale and ignored.
EYFS Outdoor Area
In recent years, an EYFS outdoor area is becoming more and more important for a nursery. Not only do these areas promote social play, physical activity and improvements of children’s skills, they are also something that Ofsted inspectors look out for.
We would definitely recommend looking into the different sensory play ideas for your EYFS area, as these are great when it comes to improving the skills and abilities of young people.
A nursery outdoor space should offer fun games and interesting activities for young people. Any nursery without an outdoor area EYFS children can learn in may not get the best attention from OFSTED. Make sure to get in touch with our team if you require more information on outdoor EYFS areas.
Play and Learning in the Early Years
It’s important to offer children a variety of methods of play and learning in the early years, they are still exploring the world around them and are full of mystery and awe at the simplest things. What we may see as just a regular creature or building maybe something completely different to them.
Therefore, playgrounds often have so many things that allow children to get involved as everything there will offer some sort of mystery. New materials, odd shapes, colourful objects, talking to other peers, listen to new sounds, move things around etc. can all be offered in Early Years outdoor play areas due to the fact that children enjoy and benefit from them.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
Not only do they entertain the child, but they also allow existing skills to be improved and new skills to be formed. They are learning through the simple act of play and it’s important that people notice this. Find out more about active learning in this post. Parents should allow their children to have a healthy amount of playtime without any interruption to develop themselves. Plus, this gives parents the time to chill out.
Overall, with the government trying to promote EYFS playground developments in nurseries and pre-schools, now is the perfect time to start to develop your ideal playground and watch it before your very eyes become developed.