Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
Kids can take part in many different activities to have fun and develop as a person but one of the most popular is playing imaginative games.
Today’s blog will go over some imaginative play ideas for your school and why they are so popular among children.
What is Imaginative Play?
Imaginative play is simply when children are acting out a wide variety of experiences that they know (or more commonly known as ‘role-playing’). Often overlooked by many parents, children really do like this form of play as it can be incredibly interesting and fun for the kids who are taking part in it. Check out this post to find out more about sensory playground ideas and designs as well.
Alongside this fact, this activity has a lot of benefits for those who participate. Some of these benefits include:
- Understanding more about the adult world and how it works.
- Introducing children to new and different situations.
- Developing their social skills.
- Improving imaginative functions.
- Having a moment to relax and unwind.
- Greater knowledge of emotions.
Knowing all these factors, the idea of this activity becomes a lot more appealing to children. It’s not just a form of entertainment but also a form of exploration and understanding. Imaginative games offer plenty of benefits for children of all ages. This is one way of meeting Ofsted requirements for playgrounds if you are looking to improve your outdoor space.
Imaginative Playground Activities
On the playground, there are ways in which you can create a more suitable environment which encourages role-play and imaginative playground activities a lot more. Whether it is alterations of the flooring to introducing new facilities to the outdoor space, certain features can help spark children’s creativity.
A common surface which is used on playgrounds is wetpour rubber flooring. Using this material allows for the installation of wetpour graphics which can be installed on top of the flooring to reflect certain designs (e.g. snakes, rainbows, footprints). These bright and vibrant designs will engage the children whilst sparking their imagination early.
Little shelters can also help with imaginative games as they provide a new environment for kids to find themselves in. With this, kids can use these new environments in conjunction with their role play ideas to feel a lot more engaged with the activity. You can even incorporate learning with things like play area maths games or letters and words.
Providing the kids with certain materials as well (like props, costumes etc.) will help them get into character a lot easier and feel a lot more comfortable role-playing. Imaginative games and pretend play ideas should allow youngsters to escape easy without any problems whilst being able to enjoy the activity in full. When all of these are combined, the playground becomes a lot livelier and more colourful and children will therefore start having stronger feelings of wonder and excitement in that environment.
Using Children’s Imagination for Play
A child’s imagination is an amazing tool when it comes to play time as it offers a lot more excitement and thrill for the activity the children may be taking part in. Imagination can improve the current activity and keep the kids engaged and stop them from getting bored too easy. Click here to see another post which explains the benefits of children using their imaginations.
For example, by using some of the imaginative props and materials in combination with a little den, you can create an environment in which pupils can decide what the story is, and role play it out. Whether it’s about entering a dragon’s cave to save someone or pretending to own a shop, giving them these materials and encouraging them to participate is a great method.
Here you can see a video showing our team installing a roadway design onto an existing play area. A surface like this is perfect for teaching children road safety and allowing them to make up their own games.
You may know that playing is a great method of engaging children into learning as when kids find something fun, they can learn a lot quicker than normal. Role play and pretend play allow this factor to occur and help kids learn certain aspects like Maths and English quickly. Knowing these skills, a lot more proficiently can help with understanding other playground games. These can all be included as part of independent learning games which encourage children to discover new things themselves.
Role Play Games for Kids
A few pretend play games which you can try to incorporate during sessions are things like:
- City role play – Having road lines be drawn onto your playgrou
- nd with little stalls on the side of the road can create the environment of a busy town. It can also be a time to teach kids about road safety and how to act in public. Those who run the shops can also learn basic maths and communication skills.
- Cooking show – Kids love to have a snack from time to time. Creating an environment which allows pupils to mess around with food to create new and unique dishes can really get them into the spirit of a chef. As well as this, it can be a method for teaching children more about food and trying to promote healthy alternatives.
- Medieval stories – Knights, queens, mystical beasts and treasure is all you have to say to get kids excited for play time. Children will feel amazed in the world of fantasy that is created and will learn a lot of about bravery, royalty and morals. Alongside this, it can be incredibly fun and interesting for the kids to take part in.
Overall, role play is incredibly vital to a children’s development and not only that but is incredibly favoured by children due to how fun it is. Schools and parents should really encourage this pretend play activities as there are a lot of benefits to those who take part.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 6 Benefits of Sensory Play for Kids
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Outdoor Play for Children
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Coloured Play Safety Surfacing
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Developing Multi Ability Play Areas
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Easi Fall Specification Design Alternatives
- Easifall UK Materials Bought by Soft Surfaces Ltd
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Encouraging a Positive Outdoor Play Environment
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- Funding Grants and Finance for UK Play Areas
- Health and Activity Levels in Children
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Design a Outdoor School Playground Surfaces Area
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Play Area Surface Under Playground Equipment
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Improving Playground Behaviour in Schools
- Improving School Readiness With Outdoor Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Liquid Deicer for Sports and Play Surfacing
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Activities for Children
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery Playground Works
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surface Graphic Markings
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Furniture for Schools
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Ideas for Invisible Disabilities
- Playground Installation Options
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Surfaces Letter
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Primary School Playground Equipment
- Primary School Sport England Funding
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS15 Activity Surfacing and Floor Markings
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Seamless Rubber Play Area Surfaces
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing for Kids Play Area
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Soft Services Play Area Floor Products
- Soft Services Playground Flooring Materials
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Soft Spheres Adding Third Dimension 3d to Play Area
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- What Are Play Area Funding Grants in the United Kingdom?
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
If you’re considering making your playground more suitable for these activities with imaginative play ideas for kids, then send our team a message and get some of the best service and advice in the industry.