Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
Expressive arts make up some of the most important factors of children’s early development in any learning environment. While the classroom may be used to help pupils understand basic concepts, any child from 0 to 5 can engage in creative activities thanks to expressive arts playground ideas from an early age.
This type of play forms part of the Early Years Foundation Stage, or EYFS, for children up to 5 years of age. Therefore, playground equipment and associated modules can help to encourage preschool kids to express themselves through a variety of means. Drama, art, creative play and music all come together to form the arts, and these can be introduced to children early on in development.
Whether or not your child goes on to be an amazing artist or musician, it is a great idea to encourage creativity in pre-schoolers so that they can easily express themselves in the years to come. There are so many different options for Early Years outdoor play that you could incorporate into your playground facilities.
Many expressive arts playground ideas are making their way to school and preschool settings to help encourage early expression – here is a small overview of what to expect from such playground additions.
Creative Outdoor Play Equipment
Children are amazingly imaginative and creative, and while plenty of standard playground equipment will help to bring out the explorer or the performer in your little ones, creative outdoor play equipment will help to develop expression even further.
Whether it’s making a mess, composing a tune or working with others to create something unique, the right expressive arts playground ideas will allow kids to explore worlds of sound, art, performance and more with little encouragement. For very young children, guidance is of course a must – but many types of creative play equipment can be simply supervised in order for kids to explore expressive arts in their own time.
Outdoor musical instruments are a great way for children to come together to make music and to understand how tunes are composed. Performance stages are a brilliant idea if you are aiming to encourage your kids to embrace drama and to show off their acting chops. You could also include den building equipment which children can use to make pretend houses and structures.
Activity play panels and messy play areas – that’s mud, sand, water and more – will delight youngsters of all ages, but will especially encourage those early developers to create, imagine and roleplay at their leisure. These outdoor play ideas and installations are easy to set up and are well-loved by kids up and down the country – and your pupils will need little encouragement to give them a go!
EYFS Expressive Arts and Design
EYFS Expressive Arts and Design, or EAD, is all about encouraging children’s curiosity. Creativity and curiosity should never be stifled, and revisions to EYFS now encourage teachers and guardians to help younger children explore various media and tools in order to easier express themselves with a wealth of creative materials and toys.
It’s all about imagination – while some children will be able to create worlds and characters through music, others will dive into drama. Some may simply prefer to sculpt and explore with mud and sand – there are no rights or wrongs! Plenty of these activities can be used to increase exercise levels, view this post for more details.
Artistic expression is encouraged from an early age purely to introduce children to the idea that it is healthy to question the world around them and to be curious. Encouraging young children to make choices, to explore ideas, and to create stories with a variety of toys and tools is a great way to help them understand that it’s fun and healthy to be creative and to explore with their imagination.
Playground ideas and expressive art tools can help pupils to develop healthy confidence in a variety of skills and abilities, as well as to pursue creative endeavours if they wish to in later life. These tools and practices are designed and introduced to help children think and act creatively from an early age, so that they may put such confidence to use in later life.
Early Years Musical Instruments
In early years musical instruments are developed and provided to allow children to explore a wild world of sound just waiting at their fingertips. Some of the commonly installed ones include:
- Wind Chimes
Every musical instrument makes a different noise in a variety of tones, and while not every child may grow up to be Mozart, it’s healthy for them to explore and to understand the beauty of music and the different ways in which they can create tunes and sounds that appeal to them.
Instruments introduced as part of a wealth of playground ideas also make for brilliant collaboration. Encouraging children to work together from an early age is a fantastic idea – and making music together is not only exciting, but it also offers something new each and every time they play.
Along with other outdoor play installations, musical toys and games can be supervised with ease, particularly with younger children, while older ones can explore various sounds and instruments in their own time. Encouraging children to explore music in their own way is a great idea – these creative playground standards are here to be enjoyed, not to be regimented!
Nursery Dance and Drama Equipment
Dance and drama are two fantastic ways to help children express themselves. Many creative playground ideas, including specialised nursery dance and drama equipment, can be used to help youngsters explore characters, ideas and stories that their imaginations can brew up. As children grow older, their imaginations will, of course, develop and grow stronger – and it is in these early years of development that they should be encouraged the most. You could also incorporate imaginative play ideas into your outdoor space.
Outdoor drama stages, themed props and equipment can be fully supervised for a variety of games and productions, though older children can again be encouraged to work together to perform stories, musicals and more. See our full range of options for nursery play facilities here.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Surfaces
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
There are many brilliant expressive arts playground ideas that can be put to use to help children to express themselves. Imagination and creativity are powerful tools that should never be stifled – and there’s never been a better time to start encouraging creative play for younger kids.