Top 5 School Playground Trends
Creating a perfect playground can sometimes be a huge task as many people don’t know what type of equipment to have installed or how to ensure the area is safe. Today’s blog will cover the top 5 school playground trends and why these activities and items should be focused on.
1. Daily Mile Tracks
Also known as ‘golden mile’, the Daily Mile is becoming a new sensation amongst many schools in the UK and around the world! A simple concept, the tracks are designed to get kids walking, running, skipping (or any other physical activities) a mile in an allotted time (usually around 15 minutes).
Success from the tracks has been noticed with an increase in fitness and an improvement in kids’ focus in lessons. With such results, many more schools have started to take note of the exercise and tried incorporating it for the older years to take part in.
One key thing to keep in mind is the different designs that you can choose. Some of the most popular designs that are available to be chosen include:
Wetpour – Has great impact qualities meaning this surface can help cushion any falls/trips children may have and reduce the damage caused to the child. They can also be customised with different colours and patterns to really create a unique track.
Rubber Mulch – Comfortable for children to run on, many schools choose this surface to have their golden mile done in. In addition, it’s durable and can withstand regular foot traffic with no problem. It’s perfect for any areas with woodland themed areas. Visit this page for more details on this particular product.
Multisport Synthetic Turf – Being quite strong and durable, it’s an ideal surface for recreational athletics tracks. Coming in a variety of different colours, customisation is still a strong factor. Like Wetpour, the surface is also very porous meaning any water can be drained properly and stops any from creating puddles.
Thermoplastic Markings – For any school that already have an existing tarmac surface, thermoplastic markings are quick and easy to install. We can meet the design you want and make sure that it is installed with the utmost quality. Find out more about the designs here.
Overall, the Daily Mile is a great option for many schools who are interested in making their playground a more suitable place for children to get the exercise they need.
2. Activity Trails and Courses
Activity trails and courses can be described as a form of obstacle course. Different types of equipment are placed in a certain order to create a course in which the children must use different skills to overcome the current obstacle.
By no surprise, this activity is incredibly popular across the world due to how it combines fun and excitement with physical exercise. Knowing this, this type of activity is ideal for encouraging active behaviour during PE lessons and break times. Kids will love to get active with this piece of equipment. It’s important to help improve children’s exercise levels where possible through play.
As well as this, there is so many different pieces of equipment you can have installed to make your activity trail the way you want it. Tyre Crosses and Balance Beams are great to have as they focus on balancing skills and can actively help improve coordination.
Frame Nets and Climbing Walls are vital pieces of equipment that can help improve traversing skills and coordination abilities. Different pieces of equipment offer improvements on different skills, helping improve the person on different levels.
3. Outdoor Learning Spaces
Learning inside can sometimes be a bit of a drag and can lead to kids becoming bored incredibly quick and leading to a disruptive class forming. No one will be able to perform at their optimum whilst this is occurring and so, many schools have started to develop outdoor learning spaces.
These places are a perfect way to take learning outside and encourage children to learn about the world around them. If it’s sunny then children will get the added benefit of vitamin D, making them feel a lot happier and more motivated with the lesson. If it’s cold, then these spaces can be adapted with shelters to reduce the coldness and make it a more comfortable learning environment.
Outdoor learning spaces have been shown to increase class participation and boost imaginative play with no problem. Areas like these can include equipment like chalkboards, water/sand play items and a stage for drama and/or art. These types of equipment really do help to improve the overall attitude of the class and makes it a lot easier to teach kids a variety of topics.
4. Surface Markings and Graphics
Space on a playground can be taken up quickly especially if you have large structures and equipment installed. If this is the case, then surface markings and graphics are a great solution to add more to your playground without taking any necessary room. We can install these straight onto tarmac using thermoplastic, or they could be part of a wetpour surface design.
With the thermoplastic markings being quick and simple to install, the playground will hardly be disturbed and will allow your pupils to interact with them quickly. With so many colours being offered, your designs will be completed in great quality without any issues. Make sure to send your design ideas to our team and we will make sure that your design is bought to life.
Another thing you can also have are pre-set designs made by us that are specially designed to trigger imaginative play cues to help with play. Things like traffic lights, characters etc. are things that we can create to help with the promotion of imaginative play and to really let kids escape into their minds and just have fun.
5. Diverse and Inclusive Play Equipment
Making play equipment accessible for everyone is a key way to make your pupils feel included. Playgrounds all over the world have started to include equipment which caters towards everyone regardless of their abilities or preferences. From things like seating to climbing frames, every piece of equipment can be built to match. Click here to read more about different games and activities you could incorporate to suit all children.
A great example is inclusive seating areas. Sometimes, children who have special needs can suffer from what is known as sensory overload and start to feel agitated towards certain aspects on the playground. By creating a seating area with calm and plain colours and patterns, you can help to deal with this issue and keep these children comfortable. Check out this post to learn how risk-taking can help improve children’s confidence.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 6 Benefits of Sensory Play for Kids
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Outdoor Play for Children
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Coloured Play Safety Surfacing
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Developing Multi Ability Play Areas
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Easi Fall Specification Design Alternatives
- Easifall UK Materials Bought by Soft Surfaces Ltd
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging a Positive Outdoor Play Environment
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- Funding Grants and Finance for UK Play Areas
- Health and Activity Levels in Children
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Design a Outdoor School Playground Surfaces Area
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Play Area Surface Under Playground Equipment
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Improving Playground Behaviour in Schools
- Improving School Readiness With Outdoor Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Liquid Deicer for Sports and Play Surfacing
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Activities for Children
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery Playground Works
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surface Graphic Markings
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Furniture for Schools
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Ideas for Invisible Disabilities
- Playground Installation Options
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Surfaces Letter
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Primary School Playground Equipment
- Primary School Sport England Funding
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS15 Activity Surfacing and Floor Markings
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Seamless Rubber Play Area Surfaces
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing for Kids Play Area
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Soft Services Play Area Floor Products
- Soft Services Playground Flooring Materials
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Soft Spheres Adding Third Dimension 3d to Play Area
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Are Play Area Funding Grants in the United Kingdom?
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
School Outdoor Playground Ideas UK
Inclusive play equipment needs to take into consideration everyone and not just one group of children. Some pupils may not want or be able to take part in certain activities so it’s important to offer a variety of options. This is key when creating a fun and diverse playground. Our team can help with any questions you may have about this topic.
Overall, these top 5 school playground trends are incredibly popular and offer plenty of choice for schools looking to improve their outdoor space! Feel free to get in touch with us if you’d like more information on the different types of surfacing and play structures.