How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
There is an increasing number of primary school children who are dealing with stress and anxiety at school. This is due to a variety of different factors including the pressures of school and the social expectations children face.
Having a positive and interactive outdoor space can help kids relax and enjoy themselves more, making them able to concentrate better in lessons. In this post we’ll discuss how playing outside can reduce stress and anxiety for children of all ages. Check out our previous article on inclusive play equipment if you are looking for ways to create a more diverse playground.
Why Are Children Anxious?
A lot of things can cause children to feel anxious or stressed, particularly at school. Here are a few of the main reasons why a child might have feelings of anxiety:
- Separation – It’s common for younger children to feel worried and scared when separated from parents or carers.
- Phobias – Some kids may develop phobias in early life which make them feel anxious. These could be things like heights, spiders, water, the dark etc.
- Social situations – A lot of children feel shy and anxious in social situations especially if it’s a new environment, such as when they first start school.
- A particular event – Sometimes specific events can trigger anxious feelings for a child. For example, they may have hurt themselves on the playground, been involved in a car accident or something else which has caused them distress.
- A significant change – Something like moving house, parents divorcing or starting a new school could make a child worry and not feel confident.
It’s also important to remember that while stress and anxiety can be brought on by these factors and many more, it can also have no specific cause at all. It may seem difficult to understand, but each person’s mental health is different, and support should be made available to all children. Visit this page from the NHS to find out more about helping children cope with anxiety.
Improving Mental Health with Play
Studies have shown that there are many benefits of active play when it comes to improving mental health. Roughly 1 in 5 children up to the age of 11 will experience some kind of mental health problem, with anxiety and stress being the most common.
Getting fresh air and being active can help to reduce the hormones commonly associated with feeling anxious. By creating an interactive play space with a variety of games, you are giving each child something to focus on and enjoy. This also promotes the release of hormones such as serotonin and oxytocin which make you feel calmer and happier. Check out this post for more information on how active lifestyles can improve health.
Sometimes a loss of control can cause kids to feel worried and unhappy. By taking part in an activity, using equipment or cooperating with others, they can take control and choose how they want to play. This also helps with forming relationships and making friends who can help them feel more relaxed.
Active Playground Ideas
A number of different options are available when creating a play area to help reduce stress and boost pupils’ moods. Here are a few active playground ideas you could consider for your school or nursery:
- Trim Trails and Obstacles – These consist of things like climbing walls, rope bridges, balance beams and monkey bars. Using equipment like this helps develop strength and motor skills, as well as giving a feeling of accomplishment when you get to the end.
- Daily Mile Surface – An extremely popular activity which schools are now incorporating into each day. 15 minutes of walking or running each day helps create a positive attitude and increases concentration in lessons. We can install a variety of Daily Mile surfacing types if you are looking to install one of these facilities.
- Outdoor Gym Equipment – Different pieces of apparatus help develop children’s muscles, and exercise helps with the release of happy endorphins.
- Activity Boards – These can include things like games mounted on the wall and chalkboards where children can write and draw.
- Musical Instruments – A number of musical items could be placed outside on the playground including drums, xylophones, bells and many more. These allow kids to be creative and express themselves through the music they can play.
- Sand and Water Play – Kids can experience different textures and materials as well as building sand castles or channelling water. Loads of sand and water activities can be done on the playground.
All these things can be incorporated into your outdoor space to encourage pupils to be active and take part in different games. This helps focus their minds and reduce feelings of worry or stress.
Encouraging Mindfulness in Schools
Being more mindful can help both children and adults to be aware of their emotions and deal with difficult feelings. Encouraging mindfulness in schools has plenty of benefits as it improves emotional development and even boosts concentration in lessons. Studies also show that this can even reduce instances of bullying on the playground. Find out more on Anti Bullying Week 2019 here.
Mindfulness may be achieved through a range of activities including individual games and playing in groups. Imaginative play is a great way for kids to be creative and work together or alone to make something using their imaginations.
Managing Anxiety through Play
As you can see, there are many ways that playing outside can reduce stress and anxiety in children. Lots of situations can cause worry and negative feelings for primary school pupils. It’s important to support them and give them a positive place to express themselves and release their energy.
Managing anxiety through play can be very effective for all ages and it also helps with developing physical skills. You can choose from a diverse range of equipment and designs to ensure you cater for different pupils.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
Feel free to get in touch with us if you are interested in upgrading your play area with new surfacing or equipment and we’d be happy to provide a quote.