You may have seen children’s outdoor play facilities which have bouncy flooring to protect against injuries. Usually this will be underneath equipment like swings or climbing frames. Many people refer to this as rubber tarmac flooring as it has a similar appearance to hard macadam. Some people may call it rubber macadam safety surface, rubber bitmac surface or rubber asphalt safety surface.
However, the rubber safety surface is actually made from recycled EPDM. This is a rubber crumb material which is bound together and trowelled onto the required area. The system is actually called wetpour surfacing and we can install it in a variety of colours and designs.
How to Lay Rubber Tarmac
The process for installing this type of playground flooring will usually be similar for each project. It can however vary depending on design, colour and depth.
- First we will need a suitable sub base to lay onto. If the existing area is already tarmac this will be perfect, if not, a layer of tarmac should be installed.
- The surfacing needs to go up to an edge, so we can fit edgings around the perimeter. Alternatively we could chase cut the tarmac and grade the surface down at the edges.
- Next we’ll apply the base layer of the wetpour system. This comprises of SBR rubber crumb and binder which we pour onto the base.
- If you have chosen wet pour graphic shapes, we will place these onto the base after it cures.
- Then we’ll lay the EPDM wearing course in your chosen colour.
Wet Pour rubber or poured in place, is the perfect product around children’s play areas with play equipment due to its impact absorbing qualities. Applied to different depths depending on the critical fall height of the play equipment, rubber tarmac surfacing can protect up to a 3.00m+ fall height. We can install the surfacing on top of Tarmac, Concrete or MOT Type 1 stone.
Wet Pour comes in Black as a standard colour and also 12 different colours, along with 50 – 50% mixes of these colours. Our core business is Wet pour safety surfacing, and we can help you with the design, specification, costings and quotations for these areas.
Rubber Tarmac Cost
Depending on the design you choose, the rubber tarmac cost can vary. A number of factors affect the overall price, but our team will try to stick within your budget. A few things which determine the costs of installation would be:
- Area Size
- Site Location
- Access to Site
- Colour Choice
- Additional Graphics
We complete many projects each year and often work on nursery playground installation along with public spaces too. Our team offer a high standard of work and top quality products. We’d be happy to provide details of our previous work and all the products we offer.
If you’d like to enquire about installing rubber tarmac flooring, please try to include as much detail as possible. It’s helpful if we know the area size and have a few photos of the existing surface before pricing. This will help us give the most accurate and affordable quote. Just get in touch with us through our enquiry form to find out more about what’s available.