Creative Play Ideas for Kids
In the past, we’ve been guilty of overlooking the importance of creative play for kids. It’s now recognised as an important type of play, that will nurture growth in almost every aspect. By incorporating creative play ideas for kids, you’ll be helping them improve their social skills, motor skills, emotional intelligence and problem-solving attributes.
When you put it like that, you understand how enjoyable play of this magnitude can be vital.
Offering children, the opportunity to embrace their imagination, is the cornerstone to developing socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically.
So why is creative play important for kids? There are many easy ways to help children get involved in art, design and other creative activities, we list many of them below.
The Benefits of Creative Play
There’s a huge range of creative activities that can be integrated into a child’s routine and as discussed above, there’s unlimited growth synonymous with doing so. Four of the main areas of development can help them grow into an intelligent, caring being.
Here are some of the benefits of creative play for children:
- Manage Emotions- Identifying emotions can be a difficult feat for anybody, especially young children- allowing them to understand their emotions is important. It can affect self-confidence amongst much more. Activities such as arts and crafts, give a platform for them to express themselves, understand emotions and describe what they’re feeling. Outdoor play can also help with improving children’s mental health.
- Social Skills- Group or pair activities can strengthen their social skills. These skills can be sharpened on a number of levels, not only can they join others and play but they will also understand how different each person is, and this is key to know from a young age.
- Improve Physical Development- Physical development isn’t as simple as letting kids run wild. Instead, allowing them to paint will improve hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- By encouraging dancing and drama, you will be helping them improve fitness and gross motor skills.
- Cognitive Development- Creative thinking gets the brain firing, that’s true for adults and children alike. Imaginative activities immerse you and improve concentration. Not only that but as you begin to try various tools and ways of approaching activities, it opens up new cognitive pathways.
- Well-being- It’s pretty obvious that, if you help to develop all of the aforementioned, you are improving well-being. Creative activities can help young children learn and improve their overall well-being. Take away the competitive nature that’s often forced on them from early on and instead allow them to express themselves through arts.
Boosting Creativity in Schools
With all of the benefits of inspirational tasks and different arts, it’s something that all schools should be involved on a day-to-day basis. We’re used to seeing drama, physical activities and even some form of art or drawing as part of the curriculum.
Nonetheless, being able to boost creativity in schools would be hugely beneficial for both teachers and pupils. We can’t underestimate the importance of creative tasks and imaginative play, many of these types of lessons should be available to kids more often than once a week.
How could schools improve creative play? It’s pretty simple; they could do it by encouraging more broad thinking and less linear education. It’s not difficult and wouldn’t impact other learning, it could be enjoyed through drama, dance, outdoor play with obstacles and more.
Creative Play and Child Development
Creative play can help children’s development as a whole, not only will it improve their physical and cognitive function, but studies have shown other areas in which it can be beneficial. This means that we require all children to participate in various imaginative activities.
Here are some ways for you to encourage creativity in play:
- Allow pretending play
- Sharing art between friends and family
- Set up various creative games and tasks
- Take them to a playground or outdoor obstacle course
- It is good for them to experiment
- Promote problem-solving activities
- Give descriptive praise, pick up on something and describe back to them what you enjoyed from their art
They are just some of the ways in which you can allow your child to reap the rewards of creative play activities, we have also listed more ways further down. Their overall development counts heavily on the types of play and skills they learn from a young age, and we’re beginning to notice that- due to the increase of research on the matter.
If you want to help their well-being and overall development then you should try to encourage as much play as possible, don’t feel as though it’s wasted time or that they’re not necessarily learning.
Children’s Art and Design Activities
In this day and age, it never takes long to find art and design activities, especially with the evolution of media, it provides another outlet for creative and art activities.
Here are some of the main categories:
- Music & Dance
- Creative Writing
- Digital Media
- Arts and Crafts
- Outside Play
- Role Play
One of the go-to activities is usually something along the lines of arts and crafts. We’re lucky as we don’t always need to get too inventive, as there’s plenty to buy for cheap, sure to get our creative one’s brains flowing. Arts and crafts include design, drawing, colouring, painting, sticking and more.
Music, dance and drama are forms of art, yet they’re also physical. This is something that is integrated into the school routine, but that’s not to say it can’t be also enjoyed from home. Get them to learn an instrument, dancing or buy props to let them dress up and play a character. These can all improve physical development in general.
Also, don’t forget that outdoor play is one of the most natural forms of creative play. There are options of obstacle courses, balance beams and climbing apparatus. There’s also surfaces marked with fun and imaginative games for the little ones!
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 6 Benefits of Sensory Play for Kids
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Artificial Grass and Rubber Mulch Surfacing in Derby, Derbyshire
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Pathway Installation at a School in Birmingham
- Artificial Grass and Wetpour Roadway Construction in Liverpool
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Outdoor Play for Children
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Black Wetpour & Artificial Turf Construction at a Nursery in Harlow, Essex
- Black Wetpour Flooring Construction in Canterbury
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Coloured Play Safety Surfacing
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Colourful UK Playground Surfacing in Bedfordshire
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- Day Care Playground Safety Flooring in Stoke, Staffordshire
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Developing Multi Ability Play Areas
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Easi Fall Specification Design Alternatives
- Easifall UK Materials Bought by Soft Surfaces Ltd
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton, East Sussex
- Encouraging a Positive Outdoor Play Environment
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton, Bedfordshire
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- Funding Grants and Finance for UK Play Areas
- Health and Activity Levels in Children
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Design a Outdoor School Playground Surfaces Area
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Play Area Surface Under Playground Equipment
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Improving Playground Behaviour in Schools
- Improving School Readiness With Outdoor Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Liquid Deicer for Sports and Play Surfacing
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Activities for Children
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery Playground Works
- Nursery School Green Wetpour Overlay in Gloucester
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Outdoor Wetpour Surfacing Install in Leicester
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surface Graphic Markings
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Furniture for Schools
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Ideas for Invisible Disabilities
- Playground Installation Options
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Safety Surfacing with Graphics in Shropshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Pre-School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Primary School Playground Equipment
- Primary School Sport England Funding
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS15 Activity Surfacing and Floor Markings
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing for Kids Play Area
- Small nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Soft Services Playground Flooring Materials
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Spongy Nursery School Surfacing in Carlisle
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy playground flooring construction that we carried out in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- Wet Pour Surfacing and Synthetic Turf Construction in Worthing, Sussex
- Wetpour Flooring & Graphics Installation in Bristol
- Wetpour Playground with Graphics in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Wetpour Safety Flooring with Graphics at a Nursery in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- What Are Play Area Funding Grants in the United Kingdom?
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
As you can see, there are lots of benefits of creative play for kids of all ages. These activities help with problem solving as well as encouraging kids to develop basic skills on the playground.
Why not give some of these games a try at your school and see how they can benefit children.