Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
Before the introduction of modern technology, children often found entertainment outdoors. Whether that was building a wooden fort, pretending to be adventurers, having tea parties etc. Kids were substantially more creative in the ways to entertain themselves.
However, times have changed. Kids between the ages of 5-16 are said to spend over 6 hours a day looking at a screen. With their minds being fixated on being entertained as quick as possible, going outside is seen more boring. Schools should now be looking at ways of improving children’s exercise levels.
The Current Situation
Lately, there has been a huge decrease in fitness amongst children. The NHS released information saying that over 1 in every 5 youngsters in Reception and 1 in every 3 youngsters in their 6th year of primary school were declared obese or overweight.
In addition to this, only around 17% of pupils are doing the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity every day. Due to all of this, the current generation has been labelled as the laziest generation. Low activity levels in children are causing health problems which can become worse later in life, so it’s best to try and tackle the issue now.
Why is this Happening?
Simple. Technology. As a result of the introduction of new products and devices, children always have access to these methods of entertainment. It’s things such as:
- Games consoles
As they interact with these things, their patience and attention span slowly decrease as modern technology can keep providing kids with short little bursts of entertainment. This is often why this generation tend to avoid playing outside. Being active and doing exercise is not as entertaining.
Of course, there are PE lessons which aim to provide youth with 60 minutes of focused physical activities to keep them healthy. But they’re not as effective as many people believe. It was found that children sometimes find PE lessons intimidating and scary, causing them to not fully engage with it as much as they should be.
Due to this, they often stand around and talk to friends instead of engaging with the subject properly; causing the whole point of the lesson to be ignored. Even when offering varied sports, children can still feel scared and confused about the whole situation.
Outdoor Play can still be Appealing
Not all hope is lost. The British government have agreed to offer £150 million each year to improve physical exercise in academic institutions, meaning the schools that your children go to can improve the equipment the kids have access to. This can include features which encourage outdoor learning for children along with physical fitness.
Interactive playgrounds are a great method to engage children at school. Combinations of bright colours and interesting designs mean they will be constantly interested and engaged with it compared to a bland and dull playground. Check out our school playground designs here to see how you could improve children’s exercise levels at your school.
In addition, children can have true freedom when it comes to interacting with it. They won’t have someone telling them how to approach it but instead allows the child to come up with their own approach to it and to fully enjoy it in their own way.
The Benefits of Outdoor Play
Of course, there are A LOT of physical health benefits that are given to children by engaging with the outdoor play areas and playing outside. One of the major things is the increase of Vitamin D. With this increase in vitamin D, they avoid the risk of health problems, such as muscle pains and aches, weakened bones, rickets and more.
Playing outside has proved to enhance attention spans and equip children of all ages with the ability to learn at a faster pace and more efficiently. Through this, they can perform entirely better in school and clubs. As well as this, they’ll become easier to entertain and because of this, they’ll enjoy the little things even more.
It also benefits mental health. Children can fully interact with others whilst outside in a fun and interesting environment. This allows them to build confidence and social skills in a bright and imaginative environment. Improvements in imagination and creativity can also be seen as children can fully be themselves. Check out the different primary school play equipment to see which features you could add to your outdoor space.
And of course, through playing outside they will get an increased release of dopamine (the happy hormone). Levels of happiness will lead to a higher level of motivation and interest, leading to an improvement in attitude towards everyday activities.
Other Things Combatting Obesity in Young People
Not only does the increase in government funding in physical exercise combat obesity, but things like the sugar tax are slowing it down.
The government is adding an additional charge on any product which is too sugary, hopefully deterring people from buying those products as often and look for other alternatives. Money from the tax is added to the funding of improving health.
Schools can get a daily mile trail done on their interactive playgrounds. The daily mile aims for kids to walk at least a mile every day to gain the health benefits from it. Creating a bright and fun trail can allow the kids to do the walk without even realising that they are doing exercise.
- 4 Ideas for Teaching Organisation on the Playground
- 4 Reasons Why Schools Have Artificial Grass
- 6 Benefits of Sensory Play for Kids
- Activities to Teach Kindness on the Playground
- All Weather Surface Children’s Playground Safety Flooring
- Benefits of a Mud Kitchen for a School Playground
- Benefits of Climbing in Primary School
- Benefits of Outdoor Play for Children
- Benefits of Sensory Activities for Individuals With Autism
- Bespoke Playground Surfacing With Graphics in Northampton
- Best Playground Equipment for Primary Schools
- Ceased Trading – Easifall International LTD
- Children’s Play Area Flooring
- Children’s Sensory Playground Designs
- Coloured Play Safety Surfacing
- Colourful Play Area Surfacing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Colourful Playground Flooring Design in Cardiff, Wales
- Colourful Rubber Playground Flooring Installation in Wakefield
- Cooperative Play Ideas for Kids
- Costs of Schools Playground Safety Surfaces
- Creating a Storytelling Area in Your Playground
- Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- Den Building Ideas for Schools
- Designing a Playground for Non-Verbal Children
- Developing Multi Ability Play Areas
- Early Years Outdoor Play
- Easi Fall Specification Design Alternatives
- Easifall UK Materials Bought by Soft Surfaces Ltd
- Educational Play Designs
- Educational Playground Surface Installation in Brighton
- Encouraging a Positive Outdoor Play Environment
- Encouraging Risk Taking in Outdoor Play
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Flooring in Luton
- EPDM Rubber Play Area Surfacing in Leeds, West Yorkshire
- EPDM Rubber Wetpour Flooring in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- EPDM Wet Pour Rubber Surfacing Colour Options
- EPDM/SBR Rubber Surfacing Playground Flooring
- Expressive Arts Playground Ideas
- Funding Grants and Finance for UK Play Areas
- Health and Activity Levels in Children
- How Do I Apply for Grant Funds for a Play Area in the UK?
- How Do Wet Pour Repair Kits Work
- How Playing Outside Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- How to Design a Outdoor School Playground Surfaces Area
- How to Encourage Phonics Learning on the Playground
- How to Prepare Your Playground for Winter
- How to Refresh Your School Playground
- How to Repair Rubber Playground Flooring
- Imaginative Play Ideas for Kids
- Impact Attenuating Play Area Surface Under Playground Equipment
- Impact Attenuating Playground Surfacing
- Improving Children’s Exercise Levels in School
- Improving Children’s Mental Health With Play
- Improving Playground Behaviour in Schools
- Improving School Readiness With Outdoor Play
- Inclusive Playground Equipment for Schools
- Independent Learning Activities for Kids
- Lap, Leap, Neap Play Area
- Large Wetpour Play Area Surface in Stockport
- LEAP Local Equipped Area for Play
- Learning Through Play – Psychology and Theories
- Liquid Deicer for Sports and Play Surfacing
- Managing Behaviour Through Active Outdoor Play
- NEAP Neighbourhood Equipped Area for Play
- Needlepunch Playground Construction in Kilmarnock
- Nursery EPDM Rubber Surfacing in Wolverhampton
- Nursery Play Activities for Children
- Nursery Play Area Maintenance
- Nursery Play Area Surfacing
- Nursery Playground Installation
- Nursery Playground Works
- Ofsted Requirements for Outdoor Play
- Outdoor Learning Activities for Children
- Outdoor Maths Games for Children
- Outdoor Nursery School Surfacing in Preston Lancashire
- Outdoor Play Area Ideas for Kids
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children With Dyscalculia
- Outdoor Play Surfaces Suppliers
- Outdoor Playground Roadway Design
- Outdoor Safety Flooring Designs
- Play Area Line Marking Specification
- Play Area Maintenance
- Play Area Safer Surfacing
- Play Area Safety Surfacing de Icer
- Play Area Surface Graphic Markings
- Play Area Surfaces
- Play Area Wet Pour Safety Surfaces Finish
- Playground Activities for the National Curriculum
- Playground Designs for Sensory Processing Disorder
- Playground Equipment for Schools
- Playground Fencing
- Playground Flooring Repair in Birmingham, West Midlands
- Playground Furniture for Schools
- Playground Games for Children With Dyspraxia
- Playground Games to Encourage Speech Development
- Playground Grass Mats Safer Flooring
- Playground Ideas for Invisible Disabilities
- Playground Installation Options
- Playground Marking Graphics
- Playground Markings
- Playground Safety Surface Construction in Reading, Berkshire
- Playground Surface HIC Safety Flooring
- Playground Surfaces Letter
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northamptonshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Northumberland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Nottinghamshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Oxfordshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Rutland
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Shropshire
- Playground Wet Pour Flooring in Somerset
- Porous Polymeric Surfaced MUGA
- Poured in Place Rubber Bouncy Playground Surfaces
- Pre School Play Area Surfacing in Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Primary School Outdoor Classroom Funding Grants
- Primary School Playground Equipment
- Primary School Sport England Funding
- Protective Playground Flooring
- PS15 Activity Surfacing and Floor Markings
- PS4 Activity Games Space Area in Penrith
- Q26 – Wetpour Playground Safety Surfacing
- Rubber EPDM Spheres to Playground Surfaces
- Rubber Outdoor External Playground Flooring
- Rubber Playground and Artificial Grass Surfacing in Middlesbrough
- Rubber Playground Surface Construction
- Rubber Spheres Play Equipment
- Rubber Tarmac Flooring
- Rubber Tarmac School Outdoor Playground Flooring
- Rubber Wetpour Sphere 3D Globe
- Safety Surfaces For Playgrounds
- Safety Surfacing for Fitness Trim Trail Made From Timber
- Sand and Water Play Activities for Kids
- School Adventure Trail Designs
- School All Weather MUGA Pitches
- School Athletics Track Designs
- School Budgets Athletics Track Long Jump Runway Specifications
- School Playground Design and Install in Manchester
- School Playground Graphics
- School Playground Groundworks
- School Playground Ideas
- School Playground Maintenance
- School Playground Marking Designs
- School Playground Surfacing
- Schools Deicer Surfacing Products – de Icer Frost Maintenance
- Schools Get Active With Outdoor Learning
- Schools Recreational Long Jump Runway Length
- Schools Timber Gazebo Wooden Shelters
- Seamless Liquid Wet Pour Rubber EPDM Safer Surfacing
- Seamless Rubber Play Area Surfaces
- SEN Playground Equipment for Schools
- Shock Attenuation Safer Pour Surfacing for Kids Play Area
- Soft Fall Impact Absorbing Playground Surface
- Soft Services Play Area Floor Products
- Soft Services Playground Flooring Materials
- Soft Services Safety Flooring in EPDM Rubber Crumb Materials
- Soft Spheres Adding Third Dimension 3d to Play Area
- Spongy Playground Flooring Construction in Woking, Surrey
- Spongy Safer Pour Surfacing for Playgrounds
- Tests for Playground Safety Flooring
- Top 3 Safety Surfaces for Playgrounds
- Top 5 School Playground Trends
- What Are Play Area Funding Grants in the United Kingdom?
- What Are Playground Markings?
- What Is Critical Fall Height?
- Why Wetpour Safety Surfacing Is Ideal for Playgrounds?
Results Will Start to Show
When you see how your child acts after they follow the recommended 60 minutes of physical exercise, you will understand how beneficial it is to them developing into an adult. Their attitudes and thinking towards certain situations improve a lot more and overall, they become more of a better person.
Even though many will label this generation as the laziest, this can easily be changed. As the government is encouraging schools to increase physical activity and fitness, there hasn’t been a better time for schools to get interactive playgrounds and/or improve the equipment available for children.